Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Laser Tool vs PMW on Blackbox x32

Discussion in 'Laser Cutters' started by Lauren85, Mar 6, 2023.

1. Lauren85

Lauren85 New
    Builder

Hello,

I currently have my 24W laser hooked into the blackbox x32 through the tool port.

I believe I read somewhere on one of the threads that if you want to have a 'shading' ability, the laser tool needs to be connected via the PMW ports and not the Tool ports? Does this also mean that if I want to adjust the laser intensity down from 100% to 20%, I need to connect the laser through the PMW port or would the Tool port still enable this function?

I attempted to do a 20% power firing through the open builds free software with the laser tool lead CNC selected, and I don't believe I got the reduction in power that I had programmed into the gcode.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

See docs.openbuilds.com > BlackBox X32 > Laser wiring pages
    We don't show you to use Tool Enable, we only show the PWM wiring. Please follow our documentation when setting up

Lauren85 and David the swarfer like this.
  3. Lauren85

Lauren85 New
    Builder

4. Peter Van Der Walt

For the BlackBox 4X yes - BUT by now superceeded by the X32. Compare old docs:blackbox-4x:connect-4-wire-laser [OpenBuilds Documentation] versus new docs:blackbox-x32:start [OpenBuilds Documentation] (always)

You will also note that on the 4X that was indeed the "toolhead" connector, but it accomodated PWM, DIR and 0-10v Signals on that plug. With the X32 we split it up into seperate connectors. So it was still wired to "the PWM signals"
    The "toolhead" connector is gone - PWM is a seperate connector, 0-10v is a seperate connector and Tool Enable is a new connector (specifically for use with docs:blackbox-x32:connect-dewalt-iotrelay [OpenBuilds Documentation] )

Always look at the date of old information,and take what it says with the neccesary diligence to see if there has been any updated info/documentation. The JTech Video you mention was posted on Feb 13, 2020. BlackBox X32 was only released on 14 Nov 2022! (video predates new generation of controller by almost 3 years)

Lauren85 likes this.
  5. ARKHAN_74

ARKHAN_74 New
    Builder

Good Evening Sir,
    What are the best Laser modules for Black Box X32, any list of suitable lasers would be nice to know.

Thank You,

6. Peter Van Der Walt

The vendors we recommend, can be found at Lasers - OpenBuilds Part Store
    Reliable, compatible, great service - and honest (not like some other brands that lie blatantly about output power and capabilities, be careful)

ARKHAN_74 likes this.
  7. ARKHAN_74

ARKHAN_74 New
    Builder

Thank You Sir

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.