Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Laser won’t FIRE

Discussion in 'General Electronics' started by Riverbend Woodworks, Dec 21, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Riverbend Woodworks

Builder

I recently ordered and installed the Quad PRO 24W w/air assist from J Tech Photonics, Inc. on my Openbuilds LEAD 1515. The laser will not turn on in either LightBurn or Openbuilds Control. I have followed all instructions on the J Tech Photonics, Inc. website as well as LightBurn and Openbuilds with no success. In the software control, I can jog and run a program just fine, but the laser will not work. The fans on the laser head are running and I can manually turn on the laser via the switch in the laser control module, but cant get it to engage via the software. When I hit the FIRE button via LightBurn or Openbuilds control, I can hear a click within the Openbuilds X32 Blackbox. The LED lights up the signal as 'tool on' on the X32 blackbox but the laser wont fire.
    I've checked all $values including $30-$32 in Grbl Settings and can confirm they are correct.
    I spent two hours on the phone with support at JTECH Photonics where I gave them access to my computer. We confirmed that the laser components are operating correctly independent of the control. I need to know what commands engage the Tool or PWM port on the X32 blackbox, and what port on the X32 blackbox should the laser be plugged into? . The only port we could get to work was the coolant port sending M8. We should be getting 1000HZ signal with M3/M5 I believe. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Post a Grbl Settings backup (CONTROL > Grbl Settings > Backup Settings button) as well as detailed pictures of your wiring please

3. Riverbend Woodworks

Builder

I currently have the laser wiring plugged into the PWM port. I've tried the TOOL port as well. X32-JTECH Photo 2.jpeg X32-JTECH Photo 3.jpeg X32-JTECH Photo.jpeg

Attached Files:

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Correct, must be the PWM port (or you won't have any grayscale / power control)

Grbl settings checks out too - wanted to make sure the other spindle related settings have not been changed ($16, $30, $31, etc) but they are good

In CONTROL > Tool On > Laser > If you try different percentages, does the TOOL PWM (4th LED from the left) change brightness accordingly. Tool ON will be on too, but not of interest to us for this configuration. We want to see the PWM LED come on and become brightest when you turn up to 100%

If you have a multimeter you can measure the output of the PWM port as well to confirm (3.3v max)

Was there any earlier shorts/miswirings we should know about - it could have damaged the port - but if we don't know about it we'll chase other potential causes, despite it being a known mistake.

5. Riverbend Woodworks

Builder

There we're no shorts/miswirings. I don’t have a multimeter, I can get one if need be. YES, the PWM lights up accordingly with the percentages control.

6. Peter Van Der Walt

That LED is directly tied to the Output terminal - so if its working, whatever is connected to it is definately getting the PWM signal as well.

No need, the onboard LEDs served their purpose of confirming signal is being generated and scaling correctly - you can if you want to put your mind at ease

Do you have a link to the specific modules documentation? Just want to look it over to see if I can see anything there

7. Peter Van Der Walt

8. Peter Van Der Walt

Nevermind, that applies to the older drivers that looked different from the one in your picture.

Regardless, the PWM LED is coming on, so the Grbl settings is Correct, its responding correctly to the laser commands, and the port is not damaged (or the LED would not have worked either)

I suggest you recheck wiring again - redo all terminals making sure wires are solidly inserted, correctly polarised, correctly matched to the other end, etc

9. Riverbend Woodworks

Builder

I have disconnected and reconnected, checked all wiring a dozen times.

10. Peter Van Der Walt

Contact the store via Support > New Ticket for further assistance - though we have confirmed the BlackBox works
    The only additional thing we can have you check is to use the Multimeter (just to confirm the very last step - that the signal is getting out the port) from there its not a BlackBox problem

11. Riverbend Woodworks

Builder

Am I correct in saying that the X32 Blackbox does not have a relay jumper that needs to be disconnected?

Lauren85 likes this.
  12. Peter Van Der Walt

It does not no, as Support confirmed to you intially as well, only the BlackBox 4X has the relay jumper. Even if you did have a 4X and forgot the jumper, the PWM signal would still come out - it would just make a lot of chattering noise (annoyance) and eventually wear out the relay (that you didn't use anyway) so - no not related

Lauren85 likes this.
  13. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

Are you using two separate power sources? I so are they sharing a common ground?

Alex Chambers likes this.