Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Laser power surges when moving an axis with Lightburn

Discussion in 'Laser Cutters' started by Tim Cox, Jan 1, 2024.

1. Tim Cox

Tim Cox New
    Builder

Hello, all!

I replaced my Ortur laser with the 20w optical from LaserTree. I'm currently using the Blackbox X4 to control it. I didn't have this problem on the Ortur, but ,with this LaserTree, if I have the 'test fire' on in Lightburn and move an axis, the laser power surges and burns the wood. What could be causing this? The laser burns fine when running code though.

Laser is controlled by the Blackbox at the 'Toolhead' connector and powered directly from the PSU that feeds the Blackbox. I have a switch that turns the PSU on and both laser and controller fire up at the same time.

Thanks for any input!
    Tim

Attached Files:

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

You say
    Are you manually jogging, or is it "framing" where your engraving will be? Does it burn when jogging around without the test fire button on? Does it burn a continuous line then shut off when you stop jogging? Does it burn more intensely the faster you jog?

I use Lighburn to generate gcode for my laser, but I do not control my machine with it so I do not have first hand experience with it. However, the answers to these questions may help others help you.

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Is the one maybe a better brand? Surging could be something like a badly designed laser driver that doesn't honor its commanded power level

4. Tim Cox

Tim Cox New
    Builder

It's when I manually jog it. I guess I didn't try different speeds, but I will. Framing does NOT have this issue. I was wondering if it was due to sharing the PSU, but it's a 25A, so should have plenty available. I plan on testing that theory this weekend.

What software do you control it with?

Thanks!
    Tim

5. Tim Cox

Tim Cox New
    Builder

That's entirely possible, but I really have no idea.

BTW, I'm a huge fan of what you folks do here! The whole OpenBuilds world is amazing and extremely educational. I'm pretty new to this and have been here many times, so thank you for that!

Thanks,
    Tim

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.