Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Laser exhaust

Discussion in 'Laser Cutters' started by Rendermandan, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Rendermandan

Rendermandan Well-Known
    Builder

D4066B2C-033E-437F-9439-6308177B7A7C.jpeg I’d like to add a cover over my laser with an exhaust/fume extractor. But I don’t have an easy way to vent it outside. What I’d like to do is add a fitting into my exhaust that is already connected to my furnace and water heater. There is a wye fitting that has a capped off end that I could attach to. Obviously I would need an inline duct fan. And the location is directly above where the laser is, so plumbing it would be a breeze.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is it even legal/code worthy? Not sure who to call to find out.

Thanks

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

I'm not qualified to give a definitive answer - the exact details would depend on the regulations where you are, but a word of caution - what you are proposing could lead to fumes from your laser being pushed back towards your furnace - potentially dangerous, or fumes from your furnace leaking through the pipework to your laser - also dangerous. Definitely consult someone qualified and knowledgeable of your local regulations.
    Alex.