Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Laser Choices

Discussion in 'Laser Cutters' started by romamaker, Jan 20, 2020.

1. romamaker

romamaker Well-Known
    Builder

Ordered a new ACRO bundle. Going to use it for a few different applications, but one of those will be some laser engraving. While I'm waiting on delivery, I've been doing a lot of reading, trying to make the best decision on which laser to go with.

From what I've gathered, I've seen 4 main choices if I want something that's not a complete "roll of the dice" on quality:

L-Cheapo, Endurance, J Tech, and Opt Laser.

Price range varies quite a bit, from $200 - $1000. L-Cheapo being on the lower end of the price, but also the most questionable on quality, and Opt being on the higher end, but with a lot of good reviews and recommendations.

Any others I should look at before making a decision, or does that about sum it up?

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Endurance screwed over Mattheo from L-Cheapo a few years back, nowadays its just a rebranded chinese module if it arrives at all. Not worth it
    L-Cheapo is good, but "a little handmade" - works great and a great guy to support. But handmade PCBs and 3D printed mounts for example, if that kind of thing scares you
    Optlaser - probably the best (reflected in the price (; though)
    JTech, totally fine, no complaints, fair price, good quality !

3. romamaker

romamaker Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks for the input. I didn't know that about Endurance, but all your other comments pretty much confirm what I already knew. Decisions... decisions...

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

:) yeah its not really public knowledge, but Mattheo is a friend of mine, from the LaserWeb days

Decision: Budget end: Jtech, or have some cash and want the best, go for the OPTlaser