Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Large Format ideas

Discussion in '3D printers' started by Chaingun427, Dec 30, 2022.

1. Chaingun427

Builder

Working on desiging a printer i may never actually build :ROFL:

I was inspired by Peter's Double H bot (obvious from the design) but wanted a few things done differently as my goal is to be able to print things potentially as large as entire mock up engines and wheels. I decided on z screws for the z axis to prevent any sagging from extremely heavy builds.

My fusion360 design is centered around 1m sticks of material, but i'll likely enlarge it to match the 1M build space of the doubleH bot since it won't be much more expensive.

My first consideration right now is the z axis screws. I've centered them but im thinking about moving them to the corners. Will having one front left and one rear right cause any issues, or am i better off adding screws in each corner (two running off timing belts so i don't need 4 z motors) obviously i think that's going to be better but i don't know if it's necessary lol

My second consideration is what kind of electronics to use. I'm fairly certain i'll need an external stepper driver setup to run the nema 23's on the y and z axis, but the nema 17 on the X and the nema 11's on the dual extruder i don't think will require more current than something like the Duet 3 can output on it's own. I've read about some people that have flashed a Duet with Klipper and if that's possible it's exactly what i want to do , but i was also thinking about whether or not the new Creality sonic pad might connect to the Duet 3 as well as that'd solve any need for a display and klipper in one package.

This is my first custom designed printer, and i know i'm probably biting off more than i can chew, so i'm open to any and all advice.

Also when i've got the design finalized i'll be glad to offer the DXF's for the braces and mounting plates

Attached Files: