Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Large CNC machine

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Shahrokh, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Shahrokh

Shahrokh New
    Builder

Hello every one!
    I am planning to build a large cnc table and router (like 3 x 4 m ) . What should I consider? probably large V-slots (40 x 120 ?) strong stepper motor (Nemo 34 ?) etc.
    Any special resources for this?

Regards
    Shahrokh

2. Weldsmith

Weldsmith New
    Builder

I have plenty of comments. but do some research on the web before you make any decisions. you will see many people have started with one thought and have upgraded once they realize they have under engineered there project. I personally would not go with belts. I would use rack and pinion for that size of machine. I would definitely go with nema 34. you can get away with a smaller high torque motor on the Z axis. I have 800 oz inch motor on my X axis and have recently upgrade to two 600 oz/in on my gantry. I built a double belt system and am not quite happy with them. I would also think about a very stiff gantry no 40 x 120 I have two C-beams bolted back to back and the stiffness is marginal. I would also consider going with the Steel v wheels and the open builds V track. or if you do not have a budget go with linear rails. Good Luck!

Best Regards
    David Smith