Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

KP-DMC809 servo not working

Discussion in 'DrawBot' started by sorin, Apr 10, 2024.

1. sorin

sorin New
    Builder

Unable to get this model of servo working on BlackBox 4X.
    When setting up the pen wizard the servo responds to a very limited range of values around 210-230, however once setup is done it does not respond to pen UP/DOWN commands at all.

- I have other servos that work as expected, no issues at all using the full range 0-255 values.
    - This servo was tested with a micro servo tester and it works as expected, as other servo models.
    - Wiring is correct matching other servos YRB.

Wondering if I am missing something with this particular model in terms of specs?

KP-DMC809 Description
    • KPower Digital Metal Gear 9g Coreless RC Servo (DMC809)
    • Motor Type: Coreless Motor
    • Gear: Titanium
    • Ball Bearing: Dual BB
    • Torque: 3.0 kg-cm / 4.8 V
    • Speed: 0.08 sec / 60° / 4.8 V
    The KPower Digital Metal Gear 9g Coreless RC Servo (DMC809) offers a dual BB ball bearing and it comes with a titanium gear.

It provides torque at 4.8 V is 3.0 kg-cm and 6.0 V is 3.8 kg-cm. This RC servo is used in RC cars, RC models, RC robots/arms, UAV drones, IoT, smart homes, and industrial and agricultural equipment.

2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

maybe this servo does not like the GRBL update rate, being a digital it might be 'smart' enough to reject updates that are not at the timing it expects

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  3. sorin

sorin New
    Builder

From what I can tell, it seems like a signal issue. I wasn't aware there were different control methods for servos.

Is a servo driver like the PCA9685PW a potential solution? If so, can this be easily implemented with a Blackbox 4x.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

The older 4X runs on an 8 bit microcontroller so was limited to 61Hz servo signal (prescaler 1/1024), which is fine for most, but some servos might be extra uptight: grbl-servo/grbl/config.h at eggbot · cprezzi/grbl-servo

The newer X32 has scope to have more configurable parameters (See FootNote 13 on GitHub - grblHAL/drivers: Driver overview near bottom of page) - can be set to 50hz which is slightly slower and might be what that one needs (untested of course)

5. sorin

sorin New
    Builder

Understood, I think this answers my question. Thank you