Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Just went all in with Estlcam!

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Gary Caruso, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

I've been using Estlcam now for a few months, really impressive CAM program, love it!

BUT I've been hesitant to reflash the Arduino Uno with the built in machine controller because my GRBL was tuned so well and I had zero issues with my system.

This weekend I gave it a try and was able to flash the Uno and get it running with no issues using the GRBL preset, the outputs and inputs worked fine.
    Version 11 is out on Beta and it has some improvements on the control GUI, I plan on trying that as well.

I'll document more after I have done a few cuts with it.

Would like to know who here is using it and what they think?
    Cheers
    Gary

MaryD likes this.
  2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I have been intending to try it out, but, time is in short supply.

3. Mike Piechowski

Builder

I have been generating my G-Code with EstlCam since I first built my C-Beam. For the projects I've been doing, it has worked very well.

I've not tried the machine controller portion of the software yet because I run my machine via BCNC on a Raspberry Pi3. Maybe I will try it some day, but since I use a Protoneer CNC hat on the Pi as my controller board, I'd have to change everything in order to do so.

4. Gary Caruso

Strange that this Control Software area doesn't seem to be linked to "new post"?

5. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Showed up fine in new posts for me. If you believe there is a problem you can report it in OpenBuilds Bug Report but remember new posts are shown only to each user until opened. Once you have viewed the most recent post (including ones you type) it no longer shows up as a new post in your browser.

6. Gary Caruso

Ok, that must be it, didn’t realize it was customized, thanks Rick

7. Gary Deaver

Builder

Estlcam 10 with the trochoidal and peel strategies, is excellent for soft hobby machines. I mentor a high school robotics team and have used Estlcam since 2016. We have access to high end cam software but, do not use it. The learning curve is steep and to much for a 10th grader. The students pick up Estlcam fast. We cut mostly aluminum 6061T6 and 7075T6. Once we got our tool list dialed in production became fast. Absolutely lov'in it. Estlcam and Onsrud Aluminum single flutes Have brought amazing capabilities to our team. You can try it for free and 60$ for a license is a deal. Try it.