Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Job stalling when spindle starts

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Nate Byl, Mar 9, 2021.

1. Nate Byl

Nate Byl New
    Builder

I am running a Openbuilds lead 1515 with a 1.5kw spindle and VFD. I have come to realize these spindles create a ton of emi, however believe I have taken every precaution to eliminate emi found on this forum.

I am now able to jog the machine with the spindle running no problem. The problem comes when I load in a job, as soon as the spindle reached the speed set in the parameters the job stales and and the machine just idles.

Is this just more emi, or is there another problem I am unaware of?

Thanks

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

VFDs are terrible EMI sources, so very likely EMI. Power off the VFD, zero high deliberately and run an air-cut of the job just to double check that it does go further without the Spindle

3. Nate Byl

Nate Byl New
    Builder

Just tried that, It ran fine without the VFD. So in your opinion would I be better off abandoning the spindle and going with a normal router instead?

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

As a beginner, a router is by the far the easier option. Spindles are nice, but are they really needed for what you plan to do?
    That said, checkout the VFD section on docs:blackbox:faq-emi [OpenBuilds Documentation] - particularly the link out in the last bullet point