Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Issue with Y-Axis on new OX

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by JCastillo, Jul 27, 2015.

1. JCastillo

JCastillo New
    Builder

Hey guys! I have just about finish building an OX CNC and am currently tweaking with some Grlb settings. Right now I'm having issues with the movement of the two Y-Axis Nema 23's. I first wired them in individually to make sure they ran in the same direction, and each time they were able to jog up and down the table, but since i have wired the two steppers together, the motors wont move unless i give the a-xaxis assembly a little nudge. I'm wondering if they are not receiving enough power now since it is shared between them? I am using the 12V 30A power supply provided by OpenBuilds and a gshield v4. Im not using OpenBuilds's Nema 23's but i can try to find their specs if need be. Any help or tips would be much appreciated!

Joaquin

2. Ronald van Arkel

Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

I've said this in the xPRO topic as well, so here are just a few quick tips:
    -Use as short as possible wiring, but make sure the wires are the same length (resistance) for both motors used on the X-axis
    -Use shielded wires with the adequate diameter of the copper (or aluminium) core

Now, do your self a favor and get a 24vDC PSU; much better response and for sure needed when using heavier loads, more torque.

-Ronald

3. JCastillo

JCastillo New
    Builder

Thanks Ronald! Will definitely update my wiring and PSU! I also found, by messing around with the electronics, that i could adjust the power (or something) being delivered to to the y-axis steppers by turning the Y-axis potentiometer on the g-shield. The x axis carriage no longer struggles to move along the Y, but I still notice a lack of power, which I'm sure, with your tips, i can fix. Thanks again!

Joaquin

4. Ronald van Arkel

Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

Hold on! You didn't adjust those pot-meters?

Take one of your motors off, connect them to the G-Shield and adjust the right amperes using a multi-meter. Put your multimeter at 10A and place it in between any lead of the motor and G-Shield. It would help if you told us the exact model indeed, or some technical info you have on them.

But do this after you get your 24vDC PSU. Don't play with it now as you might damage your G-Shield!

-Ronald

Mark Carew likes this.
  5. JCastillo

JCastillo New
    Builder

Well darn! Its a good thing I mentioned that then...Thanks for letting me know! I haven't noticed any problems with the motors, but it definitely doesn't mean that I'm not breaking them. I'll be sure to check the amperes, and I'll look for the specs on those motors too.

I'll be out of town for a couple weeks so if i haven't replied in a while that's why, but thanks so much for your help so far!

Joaquin