Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Is TinyG significantly better than Gradus M1 Pro for OX CNC?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by DarkPenguin, Apr 15, 2018.

1. DarkPenguin

DarkPenguin Well-Known
    Builder

I have the Gradus but Panucatt stiffed me one of the bigfoot drivers and all the heat sinks. Kind of thinking I should just get the tinyg and use something plenty well documented which the Gradus is not.

This is for an OX CNC with fairly lightweight NEMA 23s. I don't think I need to go to external drivers but I think I do need to go for at least the bigfoot drivers.

Thoughts?

2. DarkPenguin

DarkPenguin Well-Known
    Builder

After looking around I think the TinyG is probably the better board but no so much to be worth throwing out what I have. Also have the missing parts coming my way so this should be good.

3. TailFire

TailFire New
    Builder

Any follow up to this? Tinyg doesn't have 0-10v output for vfd as well as m1

4. DarkPenguin

DarkPenguin Well-Known
    Builder

Yeah, I haven't gotten that to work the way I wanted. Otherwise the m1 pro is working fine. The key thing is to have a fan on the drivers. If you don't they will break.

TailFire likes this.
  5. TailFire

TailFire New
    Builder

Yeah I just cooked a Bigfoot 2 days ago. My shop avg temp is 95f in the daytime that doesn't help. I had a fan for the tinyg but it doesn't plug into the m1 anywhere. I've been meaning to wire in a 24v fan which I even have already. Just been pushing to get orders out the door. That bit me in the rear... While shopping thought I would ask the question and ran across your post. Your spot on the fan part. I ruined 2 wood slabs till it failed. Started missing steps then I decided to open the control cabinet..... Adjusting vref did not work. My z axis only goes negative. Won't go back +. Think I shorted the whole board swapping driver cards around. One of the swaps was hot swap. Now windows just says device malfunctioned. Driver went unknown... Was working fine until now....

6. TailFire

TailFire New
    Builder

I like allot of things about the tinyg I think it made better curves but never homed correctly and didn't support 0-10v vfd output very well. Guys at smw3d let me switch to the m1 for free. It was running well. Also never got the **** homing sequence working so I just shut off all the **** switches. Been running months pretty trouble free..

7. DarkPenguin

DarkPenguin Well-Known
    Builder

Cool. I have a ton of homing switches but I'm not sure about hooking them up. I think it is my spindle driver that doesn't work right with the 10v more than the 10v vfd being an issue on the m1.