Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Is my blackbox fried?

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by Nik Mani, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Nik Mani

Nik Mani New
    Builder

I had a major crash and the Z axis collapsed. In doing so the power wires to the spindle touched, and tripped my circuit breaker. Also the blackbox doesn't show up as attached, however lights for tool on, probe, and coolant are on. Powering up the blackbox engages the motors and motors light comes on, and USB interaction light comes on. With the blackbox off but usb plugged in probe, coolant, and tool on lights up. However windows does not recognize a device plugged in. Have tried other usb ports, but same result.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Have you tried with ONLY a USB cable connected? (all other wiring disconnected from BlackBox)

If that doesn't work, then yes, sadly that mishap seems to have have caused damage. Sorry to hear about the mishap! Never a nice feeling

Depending on what happened, could also have fried the computer's USB ports,so you can try another computer too - but typically if mains cabling hits low voltage stuff, its dead

3. Nik Mani

Nik Mani New
    Builder

Same result. That was unfortunate. Looks like it took out one USB port on the computer as well. All other USB ports still work though. Same result with a different machine as well. Only Silver lining, The black Friday sale is still going. What a disaster.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  4. ljvb

ljvb Well-Known
    Builder

Might want to wait a few weeks.. unless you are on a budget.. the XPro V5 is due out mid December.. not trying to drive business away from OB, but it has a number of features that the BB and V4 don’t have, I came across it last night while looking for details on driving external drivers on the V4 I have. It also has built in WiFi, and an SD slot that you can cut directly from so no need to tether a computer during cuts.