Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Is it possible to repair clear coat scratches in aluminium V-Slot extrusions?

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by PrintHead, Sep 17, 2016.

1. PrintHead

PrintHead New
    Builder

I've noticed that over time small scratches may develop in the clear coating of the aluminium V-Slot extrusions. This isn't really unique to V-Slot it happens across the board with clear coat but figured this might be a good spot to ask. The surfaces I am trying to repair happen to be on V-Slot extrusions.

Sometimes the scratches are from having something abrasive rub up against it like a screw or plate but even just setting it down on a work surface is enough to leave a scar.

Has anyone discovered a method to clean these up to restore its otherwise perfect appearance?

2. evilc66

evilc66 Journeyman
    Builder

There is no "clear coat" on the extrusions as such. The extrusions are clear anodized (it's regular anodizing, but with no dye added). Any scratches you see are in the aluminum itself. You would have to sand/grind/buff the scratches out and have them re-anodized to have them back to the way they were. There's no point though considering the effort and cost involved for only a slight cosmetic improvement.

3. dddman

dddman Journeyman
    Builder

If by "scratches" you mean white scratchlike stuff on the rails, you can rub them with abrasive soap (the orange smell garage soap) and it will go away. This is calcium deposit from the manufacturing process. If they are actual scratches... well... good luck :)

4. PrintHead

PrintHead New
    Builder

This is the sort of scratching I'm referring to: http://i.imgur.com/8ubkaXk.jpg

Dany, by chance... you're in Quebec... do you have any 40x40x500 in stock?

5. dddman

dddman Journeyman
    Builder

This is the kind of scratches I was referring to. Just use orange soap and it will look much cleaner.

Unfortunately I don't have any 40x40 in stock, but I can add some to my next order if you're willing to wait.

6. PrintHead

PrintHead New
    Builder

I'll need to give that soap idea a try! I don't think it's calcium unfortunately(but I'll try anything once), they're all perfect until I start attaching things to them. I'm just missing a couple small pieces right now but perhaps it might be advantageous for me to get in touch with you some time when I'm in for a larger quantity :) Thanks for the reply and tip.