Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

IOT Switching Relay - Alternatives...

Discussion in 'General Electronics' started by 3boysdad, Feb 4, 2022.

1. 3boysdad

3boysdad New
    Builder

I've been patiently waiting for this part to arrive (at several different places) - but alas it seems to victim of the overall supply chain problem.

So I am curious if anyone else has considered alternatives.

I've been looking at different options - including ones where I have parts already available. I am considering having the PWM port connect to a DC to AC SSR capable of handling the 15A circuit. Seems pretty straight forward. But wanted to check here in case anyone else has tried this.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Just check,the usual Fotek style ones has quite a bit of leakage current (LEDs on router stays on) which may shorten the life of the router (speed control module inside especially), and of course safety concerns (risk all yours :) )

IOT Switching Relay Power Strip says our ETA is in about a week if you don't find a different solution by then

#2 Peter Van Der Walt, Feb 4, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2022
  3. JohnOCFII

JohnOCFII New
    Builder

Also patiently waiting. Mid-April is current ETA... Might have to roll my own as well. It is such a nice, clean solution, though.

4. JohnOCFII

JohnOCFII New
    Builder

Now availability slipped to June. Thanks Supply Chain Issues! ;)

5. Pops

Pops New
    Builder

The iot switching relay is not really suitable for use in the UK. I can't believe an alternative is not available or even a simple ish DIY solution with an octocoupler. Does anyone know the spec of the relay pins on the black box controller?

6. Peter Van Der Walt

BlackBox's onboard relay is used as a Plasma trigger - not mains rated! (PCB traces, connectors, isolation etc)

7. Pops

Pops New
    Builder

Hi yes I think we get that. However knowing the spec of the relay pins V and A ratings a circuit using other components can be made to control mains voltage. An octocoupler nicely isolates things.

8. Peter Van Der Walt

We cannot advise too much as working with mains can be lethal and we do not want to be held responsible or be involved - quite understandably.
    Our recommendations stand that the Relay only be used as documented docs:blackbox:jumper-relay [OpenBuilds Documentation]
    If you are looking for a standardised logic control signal, use the Toolhead just like the IoT relay does: docs:blackbox:connect-dewalt-iotrelay [OpenBuilds Documentation] - 5v 20mA logic signal (See section 2g of docs:blackbox:layout [OpenBuilds Documentation] too)

9. Pops

Pops New
    Builder

Thanks, I appreciate this info.

The last diagram in the sticky post in this group titled electronics 101 shows a solution. But I don't like it due to the heat the SSR might generate over a period of time. Also I'm not sure how they perform with backemf when a spindle motor is involved.

I reallise you dont want to recommend something but I could do with a description of the Voltage the relay pins produce when switched on and I assume 0V when off. I guess I could just test it with a meter. I'll also explore more what's possible with the toolhead as you suggest. So thanks for that too.

I'm sure some people out there have built something like this so I was hoping to see what components they used and copy something that has worked for them. If anyone is uncomfortable about publishing something publicly please just message me direct. If I end up building something and find it works I will publish it for others to copy. I agree with you if you are not comfortable working with mains voltage then you should stay clear of this project. And if you do go for it then you do so at your own risk.

10. Peter Van Der Walt

Leakage current too. Don't use an SSR please

Unstickied it - 2014 / Mach days info - docs.openbuilds.com is the new goto instead - thanks for the reminder :)

Dry contact. COM and NO pins of the relay exposed on the terminal. No voltage.

11. Pops

Pops New
    Builder

Thanks so much for your help.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.