Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Interface Touch: Feature request

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Andre Malenfant, Nov 10, 2022.

1. Andre Malenfant

Builder

I am not sure this is the right place to put this, please show me where if not...

It would be nice to have a folder on the SD card in which we could drop macros (like the current probe folder), with a menu in Tools to list and launch them. That would open up to customization, e.g. routines to run before or after a job or test macros, etc.

Even better would be that Control can connect simultaneously with the Interface, maybe through some sort of passthrough/serial emulator on the Interface, to be able to send adhoc commands, but I suppose that is another thing entirely.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

You can absolutely create a MACROS folder (or whatever you want to call it) and drop gcode files containing macros in there. Run it just as you would a job, but functionally that is the same

CONTROL has debug passthrough for Interface - but they will conflict over things like Errors/Alarms etc so its not meant for day to day use. Only one boss at a time :)

sharmstr likes this.
  3. Peter Van Der Walt

Correct. PC > Interface > BlackBox - but again (and for others stumbling on this later) its not MEANT to be used with a PC based host and Interface both trying to control the Grbl instance. Its more of a dev/troubleshooting tool

Andre Malenfant likes this.
  4. Andre Malenfant

Builder

Understood

5. Andre Malenfant

Builder

Is there a config to enable that? I see a new com port on my C when connecting the Interface, but Control doesn't connect.

ERROR!: No supported firmware detected - See docs:blackbox:faq-usb-connection-failed [OpenBuilds Documentation] for more details. Closing port COM4

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Shouldn't need anything special. If BlackBox and Interface is up and running as far as you can jog the machine from Interface - the bridge code will be running too.

Its not an intended user access mode and its just for the odd debug session / development really

Andre Malenfant likes this.
  7. Peter Van Der Walt

Checked and it is still working.

One thing that might explain your issue: Make sure USB is already plugged in when the Interface boots (or click Reset button on Interface after plugging in USB) - if USB is not present during Boot, we continue in standalone mode.

8. Andre Malenfant

Builder

You are crushing my hopes ;)

Kidding, I know it is not an intended use, but I wanted to explore. I really wish we could use the Interface for zeroing, launching jobs, etc. and remotely connect to issue some adhoc commands without having to shutdown and disconnect the interface and wire to the PC. A web interface to control the interface (not the blackbox) would be fantastic. There is a ESP32 in that thing, so it's far from impossible. Too bad it is closed source as I would already be building my own ;) I see three solder pads labeled 39, 35 and ground, future expansion?

I could set my own controller and all, but your ecosystem is very neat and elegant. I am a software engineer myself, so that is a draw for me. It is just missing that remote functionality imho. The interface is nice to keep close to the machine bed, but its functionalities are limited when experimenting beyond launching jobs. TBH carrying a USB key is not really in fashion ether. Some form of remote file management feature would be a blessing.

I guess I am asking too much. Great system nonetheless.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  9. Peter Van Der Walt

Use docs:interface:upload [OpenBuilds Documentation]

You are a little outside the target market with that one - our vision there was "use our posts, run the job" :) simple and easy - no need to experiment for 99.9% of users

Nothing planned, but I tend to always throw spare GPIOs on accesible pads - never know when someone wants to repurpose hardware but with different / own firmware.
    Could conceivably use it as a HMI for your smart Home :) Haven't gotten round to doing it yet - but ESPHOME supports most of the hardware onboard: TTP229 Capacitive Touch Sensor , ILI9341 TFT LCD etc as one crazy idea why spare analog pins could be useful (;

10. Andre Malenfant

Builder

One still needs to take the key out to clean. The 8 chars filesystem doesn't help here as you run out of meaningful file names quickly.

I get that, but you could possibly have a market for tinkerers if it was a bit more opened. But I respect that position, it's much simpler to support for you. Also, open source would be fantastic, but I understand it is contractually impossible?

Interesting. Food for thoughts...

#10 Andre Malenfant, Nov 11, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2022