Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

INTERFACE CNC Touch Speed override

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Brad Guest, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Brad Guest

Builder

I can find no information about some of the controls on the interface . For example , once a job is running I see where I can increase the Feed override & speed override in 10 % increments but I can find no info on the specifics of this . Is there an upper limit , what factors of the carve does this affect etc..? Does anyone know much about this or where I can get the info on it. OpenBuilds rally should have a manual that atleast covers all the functions of the
    INTERFACE CNC Touch but I have to figure it out myself 90 % of the time

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

- Interface is as simple as it gets (sends the up and down override commands) , but it talks to Grbl on the other controller, so a basic understanding of Grbl (covered in depth in the Wiki) helps the learning curve along significantly - highly recommend you do read through the Grbl Wiki.

Refer to the Overrides section of the Grbl Wiki > Commands page > Realtime commands : Home · gnea/grbl Wiki

Also refer to the Grbl Wiki > Configuration page > Max Feedrate value (yes, the machine parameters take preference: you cannot Override faster than what that is set to)

3. Brad Guest

Builder

that's way over my head .when it is just an overrride feed & speed on the control with a plus or minus .It is an Openbuilds product so I would hope there is an explanation for the functions of the product ? Lets try it this way , does 200 % override speed means . 2 x = fast travel as it is normal ?. 200% override feed = 2x as fast plunge ?

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Feed = how fast the machine moves around in XYZ.
    Tool/speed = how many rpms the spindle turns / how hard the laser burns (if tool is setup with speed control)

5. Brad Guest

Builder

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Its a complicated hobby, you will have to put in some time to read that Grbl Wiki (a couple times, until it all makes sense) and also additional research into subjects like speeds/feeds/chipload and CAM strategy. Knowledge is power