Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Interface.. calibration

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by sjashe, Dec 8, 2021.

1. sjashe

sjashe New
    Builder

I am looking at updating/replacing the Z-axis

I understand calibration in Control.. but does that automatically apply to the Interface? Or is that even an issue?

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Calibration is stored on the BlackBox (Grbl parameters are stored in EEPROM: Grbl v1.1 Configuration · gnea/grbl Wiki)

Interface, CONTROL, any other Grbl host just fronts/controls Grbl running on the BlackBox

So, after replacing your Z axis, just connect the Computer for a bit, use the Calibration Wizard to fix up your settings. Take a backup (since you are now running custom parameters) and put the PC away

sharmstr likes this.
  3. sjashe

sjashe New
    Builder

Thanks.. I tend to jump back and forth between the computer and the Interface.. so didn't want to lose that capability.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  4. perks1018

perks1018 New
    Builder

This thread is the closest to the problem Im having getting up and running with interface. I had intermittent success running off of a computer (Mac, not pc) with blackbox, but now with interface my problems have swapped. Now I can connect instantly to my recently upgraded 1510 Cbeam, and I can jog and zero to my hearts content, but I cannot run any gcode files. The second I try I get a grbl fault of one sort or another. It sounds like a calibration issue, but apparently I cannot do any sophisticated calibration in the edit GRBL function of the interface?

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Specifics are important - note the EXACT errors and we'll be able to tell you what causes them

David the swarfer likes this.
  6. perks1018

perks1018 New
    Builder

I was going to do a real short video (5-10 secs) of what is happening but as I set up, I noticed on the Interface DRO I am getting readouts that are at complete odds with the actual movements of the axes, for instance, 100s of millimeters for only an inch or so of actual movement. I think I need to go back to basics here and recalibrate the machine, the steps are clearly off. Is there a comprehensive video you could point me to? I selected Workbee 1510 as the Grbl profile and swapped axes because my X is the long axis. Im using optical endstops for limit switches and they all function correctly.

7. Peter Van Der Walt

See our YouTube channel