Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Input voltage for drivers

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Rural, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Rural

Rural New
    Builder

So I'm looking to order my drivers and power supply today and am trying to answer the last few questions on my list before hitting EBay.

The TB6600 drivers that have my attention, and most drivers, I presume, can take anywhere between 12V and 48V. Are there advantages to running at different spots in that spectrum? For some reason, I'm thinking that 36V is about right.

2. Tweakie

Tweakie OpenBuilds Team

36Volts would, I think, be a good choice for the TB6600 drivers. :thumbsup:

Tweakie.

3. Rural

Rural New
    Builder

Funny how cost can trump plans for the "right" solution. 36V power supplies seems to be an odd duck, and are therefore more expensive than a similar wattage in 24V or 48V. I ended up going with a 24V power supply. Of course, as the spindle will need 48V to hit its maximal RPM, I'll need another power supply down the road.

4. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Don't forget the Amps these Drivers can support, and will draw. They can handle a healthy amount of amperage. This will obviously depend on the motors you're using. You could be looking at almost 4.5 to 5Amps on some meaty motors!
    Worth having and bearing in mind.

Gray

5. plexer

plexer New
    Builder

6. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

7. plexer

plexer New
    Builder

I haven't got that far yet :) still building my reprappro mendel 3d printer as well.

I'll either use ones that will keep me within my power allowance or get another one and run 2 drivers off each supply :)

Ben

8. Rural

Rural New
    Builder

Thanks for the input Gray. Even as green as I am when it comes to electronics, Amperage isn't something I'd ignore. Haven't bought my stepper motors yet, so I'll have to factor in the power supply when I do so. The power supply that's on the way is a 24V 15A model. I kind of wish I had bumped it up to 20A+. Will definitely have to find something else if I'm going to run a spindle and the steppers off the same supply.

Ben, that's a very interesting power supply. And a good write-up on it too. An upgrade may be in my future.

9. plexer

plexer New
    Builder

Indeed also take note of what it says in the description for those power supplies it's not just a case of saying I've got 4 5amp drivers so I need 20 amp power supply although that rule of thumb won't hurt tbh.

Ben