Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Initial Soft Limits Determination

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Ronald4418, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Ronald4418

Ronald4418 Well-Known
    Builder

I have finished assembling my OX CNC Router and it is configured in a Landscape Profile that has 1.5 Meters on the X and Slaved A Axis and 1 Meter on the Y Axis with 500 Millimeters on the Z Axis.

My question is: What do I enter in for my Soft Limits so that I don't end up crashing into the ends of the machines working envelope?

I have Mach3 as well as UCCNC and I would prefer to use the UCCNC Controller Ultimately because it works through a USB Port. I am running a Gecko G540 Driver and 4, 1.5 Amp Bipolar Stepper Motors.

I initially figured that I would Center all of my Axis and the Jog them to their Limits in one direction and mark the first location as Zero then reverse to the opposite and mark this as the Maximum but have been told that this isn't necessary, and am therefore confused as to how to proceed.

2. JordanMoss

Builder

Personally, I like my machine to always be in a positive X and Y direction, so I moved my spindle to left hand edge of my machine, and closest towards me. I then shifted it off its limits slightly, and zero'd out the machine co-ordinates. I then ran to the opposite corner, once again being slightly off the physical limits. I noted the DRO positions, and then added these into Mach3 as the soft limits. The only thing to make life easier is I set the negative softlimits to -1mm, so when I run the machine to zero, it doesn't give softlimit warnings.

I have been using this exclusively while I get my limit switches and home switches installed. Works a treat as long as you don't switch off soft limits in mach3 :)