Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Inconsistent Y movement

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Medman, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Medman

Medman New
    Builder

Hello friends. I built an Ooznest OX CNC, then upgraded it to lead screw as per DazTheGas
    www.openbuilds.org/projectresources/ox-upgrade-kit.241/
    then upgraded the spindle, then upgraded the controller for offline one, then thought of upgrading to closed-loop stepper motors.
    after I finished the installation, I found out that I have another problem.
    The two Y-axis motors are connected to the same wire from the controller, but they have slight inconsistency in speed, so every 100mm move, there is around 1mm difference, and every homing I shut off the machine, turn the lead screws, to adjust the distance and try homing again, and I get the same difference.
    both motors have the same DIP switch settings. I think it is something to do with how fast the motor runs or what.
    Take note that I did not have this problem with the normal steppers.

2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I think you need to tune those closed loop steppers, or calibrate them, or whatever it is that they need.
    The controller is giving them the same number of steps but they are going different distances. Maybe they need to be returned to the supplier, check with them.