Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Ideas for new brackets

Discussion in 'Concepts and Ideas' started by Metalguru, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

I came up with a couple of ideas for some brackets that would allow you to make much stronger connections to c-beam and other projects. Hopefully the store can look at these and perhaps get their suppliers to make them.

The one on the left is basically the same as the 4 hole brackets, but it's twice as high and has 8 holes.

The next 2 are variations on the cast corner bracket, also an 8 hole 40x40, and a 4 hole 20x40.

I would love to see these in the store...

brackets.jpg

And I have attached the sketchup file as Mark Carew requested.

Attached Files:

Mark Carew likes this.
  2. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

Mark Carew , I found these on Adafruit. ( CNC : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits) I think they would be great additions to the OB store:

1259-00.jpg This is an OpenBeam cast corner bracket. Should work just as well on V-Slot

[​IMG]These are M4 Tee nuts for 20mm OpenBeam. They might come in handy for V-slot as well.

[​IMG] These are similar to the insert nuts in the store, but M4 instead of M5

[​IMG]This is really interesting. An adjustable angle bracket for 20x20 rail. It has a lot of possible applications. Think angled braces. Not limited to 20x20, either.

[​IMG]A plastic hinge that would work on V-Slot. Very useful for doors.

[​IMG]Plastic end cap that would fit v-slot perfectly. 10 for $5

#2 Metalguru, Jul 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  3. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Truly, Mark needs to look at getting V-Slot into their shop. Their extrusion offering is a bit lame and I have a feeling their client base could appreciate the upgrade.

Mark Carew likes this.
  4. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

Definitely true, my friend. However, as I showed, OpenBeam has some interesting parts that V-slot does not. However, it's really hard to find. The site for Openbeam refers you to some other site to buy stuff, but I could not fine the store...

5. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

Mark Carew , here are some more ideas for brackets:

more plates.jpg

The first one is a mounting plate for the end of a C-Beam that allows you to mount it on a cross 20x60 for a foot. This could be extended to use a 20x80 as well. The large hole is big enough for clearance for a flex coupling so this can be used on both ends of a c-beam.

The center one is a simple outside corner bracket that allows you to tie two v-slots together on the 20mm edge. Very handy.

The one on the right is a 135 degree bent bracket that allows you to tie a piece of v-slot at a 45 degree angle across a corner. Simply miter the ends of the v-slot and use this bracket to attach. This would be very handy for strengthening base and gantry assemblies against racking. Of course, this could be modified into many variations, including 30 and 60 degree types, and inside and outside versions.

All 3 brackets are made from 1/8" aluminum. Sketchup model is attached.

Attached Files:

#5 Metalguru, Jul 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  6. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

Actually what they have is not OpenBeam as the OpenBeam system is based on 15x15 extrusions. They have also discontinued selling OpenBeam. It is however readily available through Amazon.

7. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

All the stuff I pointed out on Adafruit is made for 20x20. Perhaps it is made by someone else?

8. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

It is readily available from a number of vendors on aliexpress.

9. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

Ah, my bad. Since they mentioned OpenBeam, I assumed it was all their stuff.

10. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

This is another idea I like, the 123 Block:

3x2 block.jpg

11. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team

Great ideas @Metalguru (some may even be in the works ;) ) there are some many possibilities with a modular system like V-Slot that the fun is endless! :thumbsup:
    Many thanks for the suggestions my friend

12. Jonathon Duerig

Jonathon Duerig Journeyman
    Builder

@Metalguru This is an interesting thread. I've been making a bunch of my own connectors in ABS for small scale constructions. But I'm not sure I get the reason behind 123 blocks. I've seen them mentioned before:

McMaster-Carr

But this was as some kind of precise measurement and setup system which I don't understand. Is that related to what you want them for? I'd be interested to know more about the different uses for 123 blocks.

-D

13. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

No problem. I am thinking up more all the time.

Knowing you, you will add a hundred more holes to deal with any possible configuration.

That's something you are very good at!

14. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

Jonathan:

Yes, there are 123 blocks used for machining. They are precision ground blocks that are 1" x2" x3" and toleranced to .0001" or better. These are used as precision setup, measuring, or spacers blocks when milling.

The 123 blocks I mentioned are not that precise, they are simply connector blocks that can be used to connect corners of 20x20, 20x30, or 20x40 v-slot or other similar products. They have holes for screws on one edge, and larger holes on the opposite edge so you can put the screw in. They can be used inside a corner, on top of a corner, or across several different pieces to connect them all together. They are basically just a larger more versatile (and much stronger) version of the cast corner or cube corner blocks that are sold in the OB store.

15. Robert Bailey

Robert Bailey Well-Known
    Builder

I already made the bigger cross beam bracket, look at my build i uploaded the files a couple months back