Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

I need a little advice.

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by BismarckDon, Sep 15, 2014.

1. BismarckDon

BismarckDon Well-Known
    Builder

I've been studying the information and videos on the OX CNC build. I am very interested in building one with approximate footprint of 750 mm x 750 mm and using a Dewalt DWP 611 Compact Router. Has anyone else tried this? Will a machine scaled to that size be rigid enough to be accurate? I was wondering if there was a calculation to determine the X-gantry V slot rail length if the X main frame rail was 745 mm long. (I am assuming that I will lose a little length when cutting the rails.) Another question: Can the V slot rails be cut on a table saw with a carbide tip blade? I have a very accurate table saw and I can control the angle of the cut. Another question: what is the diameter of the Nema 23 stepper motor shaft? I was wondering which flexible coupler to order. Also, would it be advisable to get an electronics package with 4 stepper drivers and run two for the Z axis? Thanks for any help you can offer!

2. Tweakie

Tweakie OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Perhaps best to obtain your stepper motors and measure the shaft diameter before ordering the flexible couplings.
    They should have a shaft diameter of 1/4" but I have some steppers (sold as NEMA 23's) with 6mm diameter shafts.

Tweakie.

3. BismarckDon

BismarckDon Well-Known
    Builder

Good advice. Thanks!

4. dddman

dddman Master
    Builder

Most of the time I order 5mm shaft couplers and make the holes myself on the press drill.