Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

How to suggest new OpenBuilds Parts

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Frank G Haymes, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Frank G Haymes

Builder

How do we suggest new OpenBuilds Parts?

2. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

This would be a great place to do it but this is more for machine concepts
    We do have a * Can I request a Part be added to the Open Part Store?
    form to fill out here as well: http://openbuildspartstore.com/faqs/
    That one needs work though (does not look nice) so I will look into adding a wanted parts form here on OpenBuilds.

3. Sage

Sage Well-Known
    Builder

+1. I've got a sweet idea I want to share, and would love to see added to the store.

4. Mark Carew

Ok I think I have it now :)
    I was able to put together a Share A Part resource that will allow sharing of parts. It is a submit form that will allow the uploading of parts for review by the OpenBuilds team.
    The OpenBuilds team will review the parts to see how they could work into the OpenBuilds building system and decide if it is something that the community would benefit from and compare that to the cost/difficulty of manufacturing.
    All part authors will be given credit as the part designers.
    We think this could be a great concept that could help grow open source hardware.
    There is more info to read on the Share A Part form so be sure to check it out and let us know what you think.

http://www.openbuilds.com/resources/share-a-part.6/

Thanks

5. Finnigan

Finnigan New
    Builder

I tried using the Request a part be added to the store tool, however I received an error after hitting the submit button and I don't believe my request was processed. My request was really more of a question about an existing product than a request for a new one. My question was: Is it possible to purchase V-Slot extrusions in lengths greater than the maximum (1500mm) listed in the store? I'm interested in purchasing some in the 2500mm range.

6. Mark Carew

that one is not working
    but this one is http://www.openbuilds.com/resources/share-a-part.6/
    Sorry but it is not Finnigan. The reason for this is that we have found on extrusions longer then 2000mm you begin to run into tolerance issues and stretching them straight within reason is just not a good practice as there would be a lot of waste. We have worked with the extruder on this and once you get too long keeping them straight in tolerance is hard to do at these lengths they no longer can keep them within reasonable tolerances. So it can be done and a lot depends on the shape as well, but consistency in being straight is not promised and so we shy away from this. As an alternative we have seen a couple of the builders use connection plates or even double tee-nuts to extend the V-Slot.
    Check out some of the pics here: http://openbuildspartstore.com/double-tee-nut/
    Hope this helps

7. Finnigan

Finnigan New
    Builder

Hi kram242, thanks for the speedy reply!
    Those Double Tee-nuts could be a potential work around. I'm planning to build a CNC Router that can work full 8x4 sheets of material so I'm going to need rails that are a little over 8 feet long. If I join two smaller pieces of V-Slot using some Tee-nuts to create X-axis rails greater than 8 feet in length, will the point where the two pieces join create a bump or disruption when the Y-axis gantry passes over it? Would such a disruption result in imperfections in the finished work piece that was cut? If so, is there a way to mitigate or prevent these imperfections from occurring?

The subject of my post seems to have moved beyond the scope of General Talk and no longer has anything to do with How to Suggest New OpenBuilds Parts. So in the interest of helping keep the form clean and organized I have re-posted my question here in the CNC Mills/Routers section, in a thread titled: Larger Format Machine.

#7 Finnigan, Jan 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2014