Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

How to sharpen this tool?

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by dddman, Dec 3, 2016.

1. dddman

dddman Journeyman
    Builder

Does anyone know how to sharpen this flycutter?

Attached Files:

2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

3. Joe Santarsiero

Joe Santarsiero OB addict
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Oh Im in love with that grinder. This is a good demo video for tool grinding, but the micromark is tiny. I have a couple of them. Off the top of my head the hss is 1/8 stock.
    The complex geometries aren't necessary for spoilboard surfacing.
    @dddman. Unless you've busted it by running into something all you have to do with these is touch up the end face and the top 1/8" just to refresh the edges. Adding a tiny round to the end(like in the video) may help with finish and tool life. If your using it on aluminum then you may want a more complex grind with proper rake and reliefs. Cutting aluminum is fairly forgiving to tool geometries, but will birds nest without a good break. I have two of these mikromarks for separate jobs. Mainly spoilboard and aluminum.
    Be sure to take care of any build up on the tool edges with a pocket honing stone(I carry a Norton. they're handy little buggers) to reduce time spent at the grinder. So, front end and top are just touched to clean cutting edge and cutting point gets a tiny round for finish.
    Make sure there is a light relief on the end of a few degrees to help with friction(one of mine had this the other didn't.)

Joe.