Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

How to reduce noise on C-beam linear actuators ?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Jacques D, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Jacques D

Jacques D New
    Builder

Hello,

My custom machine, made out of C-beam linear actuators, is a bit loud (I would say like a small vaccum cleaner). Unfortunately, I live in an appartment with ridiculously thin walls, and the neighbours can hear the noise when the machine is running.

How can I reduce its noise ?

What I tried:
    The machine seats on the floor on a rubber matt for hometrainers, such as this.
    I did lower the current of the Nema 23 motors to the minimum, and I don't think I can run a lower microstep setting (last time I tried, the board froze while running).

I thought about adding vibration dampers such as astrosyn, but it is not possible to mount that kind of damper on a C-beam actuator (or is it?).
    Is there another way to dampen vibrations from the motor ?

Thank you!

EDIT: note that with the way the machine is built, it is not possible to use a Nema 23 reduction / stand off plate set

2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

increasing microstepping will reduce the noise. increase current at the same time, you need it.

noise comes from vibration. if the motors are vibrating enough to use the Cbeams as speakers, then you need to damp the Cbeams. any increase in stiffness and/or weight will reduce noise transmission. you could fill the holes with concrete or epoxy (-:
    CNCCookbook: Epoxy Granite Fill
    even an extra support or two in the middle of the Cbeam will reduce the noise.

3. Urish

Urish New
    Builder

I had the same issue and the solution was bizarre.

It was the XPro v3 that was the issue. It uses motor drivers that are trrribly noisy.

Changing the controller board to a regular controller board for a 3D printer sinificantly reduced the noise.

Changing it to a custom board with SilentStick drivers made the CNC silent.

4. Jacques D

Jacques D New
    Builder

Thank you for your replies!
    I found that going from 1/16th micro steps to 1/32th was not helping with noise, quite the opposite actually.
    However, my external stepper drivers are likely chinese ripoffs, bought on Amazon. Could be the problem here...
    Could it help to add rubber shims between the screws heads and motor, and between the motor and 40mm spacers?

Thank you