Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

How to fix MDF boards for cutting?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by olecam, Jul 8, 2017.

1. olecam

olecam New
    Builder

Hi -

I'd like to cut 18mm MDF boards. That it to make arcade cabinets like @Chillimonster shown here:
    ooznest OX CNC Machine

I was wondering how to fix the MDF pieces on the spoiler board. Can double-sided tape be enough?

--
    Olivier

2. PaulJones

PaulJones New
    Builder

Have you thought about using Cam clamps? Not many people know about these and they are great for holding timbers in place. Once the cams are tightened those timbers won't move anywhere. http://s3.amazonaws.com/finewoodwor...pp/uploads/2016/09/06175642/_MG_6650-main.jpg

These type below you can use square blocks around them to help get them closer around the work timbers. https://i.ytimg.com/vi/O-rqf4uSXRE/maxresdefault.jpg

The beauty about this type of clamp too, apart from being super strong holding, but they also aren't very high above the work pieces and no bolts sticking up.

3. olecam

olecam New
    Builder

Interesting idea. I was willing to buy some but thanks to your references it appears to be something which can be build very easily. Great! Thank you @PaulJones! But I'm afraid it is mostly suitable for engraving/drilling/surfacing..., isn't it? I'm more concerned by holding relatively large pieces of timber when cutting them out of the MDF boards.

Tks again!

4. PaulJones

PaulJones New
    Builder

you will be surprised how these clamps will hold the boards. Don't write them off until you have given them a try.

5. olecam

olecam New
    Builder

I am more than convinced that clamps are very effective and powerful for holding the boards but unless I misunderstood something I do not see how it can help holding the shapes which are cut out right in the middle of a board.

PS: Sorry if I'm unclear, I'm not a native english speaker. :)

6. PaulJones

PaulJones New
    Builder

to hold the shapes you must use "Tabs". When you are creating the cutting steps, you must include "TABS" to hold the pieces and then cut them out after the CNC has done the work.

7. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

There are a number of discussions on the subject of hold downs throughout the forum. One such discussion can be found starting here.

8. olecam

olecam New
    Builder

@PaulJones Many thanks! :) I now have to understand how (when) to set tabs in my design before sending the gcode to the CNC.

@Rick 2.0 Very interesting, thank you for pointing me out that Rick. Although I have read almost all posts in the thread of the machine I own (ooznest ox), I must confess that I did not yet read everything in there! Problem is that I usually don't know the correct technical words in my (french) native language, so that makes it difficult to rely on the search engine in order to find what I'm looking for. this is why your pointers are useful, thanks again for that.

9. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Probably the best search terms would be: hold down. You will however have to sift through a fair amount of unrelated information.

Another solution can be found here: What type of bed/spoil board?

10. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

Hi,

We use a grid of holes spread across the board at about 65mm spacing. Then on the underside inset wood tee nuts. Then we use the Openbuilds 5 Hole T joining plates as clamps.

Ryan

11. PaulJones

PaulJones New
    Builder

I think if you also considered making a vacuum table, then there should be no need for any tabs or clamps. Vacuum suction can be very strong.

Ryan Lock likes this.