Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

How to connect a DC motor to CNC xPro as spindle?

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by jeffmorris, Jan 21, 2018.

1. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Journeyman
    Builder

I have a large 24VDC motor that I took from a small CNC engraver shown at Micro Center - Computers and Electronics. How can I connect this motor as a spindle to the CNC xPro board so that the board can turn it on and off? I looked at the xPro wiki at 2. Connecting CNC xPRO · Spark-Concepts/xPRO Wiki · GitHub but i'm not sure which circuit is best for the motor. I'm confused by the picture at https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Spark-Concepts/xPRO/master/wiki/xProV3(back).jpg because there is a black box and a yellow line below the motor. How can I connect the motor to the board? I'm building a larger CNC engraver using the ACRO System.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

The XPRO spindle signal is a logic "signal" (5v 10ma) -> use that to PWM a proper DC Speed controller, or mosfet circuit to switch the high motor currents

3. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Journeyman
    Builder

What kind of DC speed controller I should buy? Would an electronic speed controller (ESC) made for radio-controlled cars work?

4. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Journeyman
    Builder

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Cant say for sure. You need to either get datasheet of the motor, or measure its stall current. Dc motors have massive currents on startup and under load. Without knowing the current requirements no one can guarantee if that will work

6. phil from seattle

phil from seattle Journeyman
    Builder

I think you just need to try it and see. On the power supply point, you need to get the specs for the motor and size the PSU properly. Same thing with the controller. If this is difficult for you to understand, then I respectfully suggest you just go and buy a router or spindle with a controller.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  7. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Journeyman
    Builder

8. Gooshpoo

Gooshpoo Well-Known
    Builder

9. Hovav

Hovav New
    Builder

10. Gooshpoo

Gooshpoo Well-Known
    Builder

11. Hovav

Hovav New
    Builder

Thank you !
    But due to my limited electronics knowladge , I would like to ask for a more detailed explanation. On the speed governer there are 3 wires connected to a potentiometer which control the speed. Can these wires be connected on the xpro CNC to control the speed from teh software ?

12. Gooshpoo

Gooshpoo Well-Known
    Builder

It should have a Jumper if you ordered the type i linked. You move the jumper to the other position this should allow for pwm control from the screw terminals. at this pont you should just have to connect to the pwm pin and ground pin. witch is pin D11 and use the GND in the same line of pins dont use the main ground.
    [​IMG]

GrayUK likes this.
  13. Gooshpoo

Gooshpoo Well-Known
    Builder

Also one thing i wanted to point out it is important to hook a fuse up on the main power . if you have a problem like say a dead short on an accessory you may be running it will dump the full amount of current into the main board. take some time and read through that github info i would get super familiar with everything on the board google search terms you dont know. trust me you will be better off down the line if you can understand your board to its fullest. Good luck i will try to help where i can.

GrayUK likes this.