Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

how do I resize a .nc file?

Discussion in 'CAD' started by Bruce Murphy, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Bruce Murphy

Builder

Morning all,

How do I resize a .nc file? I have a file that I want to make bigger and don't know what hopefully free software I can use to enlarge this file and how. I am very new to CNC. Thanks in advance for the advice.

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Sorry, you don't re-size an nc file. If you open it (any text editor - eg notepad) you will see it is a series of commands and step by step movements to tell your control electronics what to do. You need to go back a couple of stages to the cad software to change (scale) the dimensions and then re-do the setup and toolpaths in your cam software. What software did you use to create the nc file?
    Alex.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  3. Bruce Murphy

Builder

The .nc came with a cnc I bought here a while back. I am trying to learn Fusion 360 and inkscape. But still learning how this all works.

4. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

If you use bCNC it can scale the Gcode for you.
    load the Gcode
    under 'CAM' find 'scaling'
    select the code
    set the parameters
    click the 'scaling' button which is the top bar of the parameter block.
    the new scaled block will be inserted into the Gcode and the original block will be deactivated

note that you don't actually have to use bCNC to run your machine since you can scale and then save the Gcode to a new file and run that in whatever control software you choose.

However, as others have mentioned, though this can be done it is not normally done since generating Gcode from a correctly sized drawing is ALWAYS BETTER.

5. Bruce Murphy

Builder

Thank you sir I will give it a try. And thanks everyone I am sure I will have many more questions