Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

How cold is too cold?

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by Jay Lytle, Jan 27, 2022.

1. Jay Lytle

Jay Lytle New
    Builder

How cold is too cold to run my machine? I have quite a few projects I want/need to complete, but it is currently slated to be in the upper 20's tonight. For clarity, the garage where my machine is located is in an uninsulated garage, and no other options for insulation or anything. Also, not worried just about the electronics, but also the wood I'll be using. The wood is stored in the cold, so it's acclimated, but want to make sure things I sell or gift are top quality for word of mouth reputation.

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I would think that it should not matter too much. I grew up where it would routinely get into negative numbers on the F scale. My dad built cabinets as a side hussle and had a small business in a large metal insulated building, but it was not heated unless someone was there. So, basically heated on weekends. We never had issues with temperature affecting product.

I use my garage as a shop now, and it has been getting into the twenties at night. I take a small portable electric heater out there when I am working and it helps a lot.

3. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

My shopvac blows a lot of hot air so it warms the room nicely when the machine is cutting (-:
    Condensation is the enemy for all electronics, so you need to prevent that.

Jay Lytle and Peter Van Der Walt like this.
  4. Jay Lytle

Jay Lytle New
    Builder

no worries there. our current avg humidity is in the teens and 20s. super dry right now. normal humidity is usually never above 60s anyway.