Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Hooking Up NEJE 30w module to Blackbox.

Discussion in 'Laser Cutters' started by Richard Gallatin, May 26, 2021.

1. Richard Gallatin

Builder

I bought the Neje Master 2s Max 30w. I have had nothing but problems with there main board, I switched to the Openbuilds Blackbox. I want to use the 30w module. I have four wires come from module but they are not color coded in any way and there is nothing on module telling me what is what. I did find out that the looking at the back of module from Left to Right it is 12v, Ground,PWM, and Temp Sensor. How would I go about hooking this to the BlackBox. I believe there is a small board that comes with the 30w or 40w module if bought as a replacement.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Refer to the modules documentation or ask the seller for wire identification and the extra boards etc. Only the supplier of the module would know that.

See docs.openbuilds.com/blackbox

3. Richard Gallatin

Builder

OK I have found the wire layout and got it hooked up. I am running into other trouble. When I watched the for the wiring and using the Control Software the X an Y axis are backwards from the video. X+ should move to the right mine moves to the left. Same with Y it moves backwards. I found out how to change it but then when I home the x and y it is now backwards. The laser seems to get power but there is no beam. I have tried the S100 to S1000 value. I also removed the jumper pin for M3 M5. I have set $32=1 for laser mode.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Play with $3 Direction Invert and $23 Homing Dir until its correct per the Cartesian standards. See gnea/grbl

Make it jog correctly first (moving in cartesian system) then just invert whichever homing axis is going the wrong way. Default switch position is at axis maximum. So invert any axis where you put the switch at axis minimum side.

Or put the switches at top, back, right and leave it on $23=0 default

5. Richard Gallatin

Builder

OK I will try thank you.

6. Richard Gallatin

Builder

OK I Changed the $3=1 and that works for direction. I changed $23=1 and the X limit is good Y is still backwards. I will move that limit switch. Then move my attention to why laser does not seem to come on. Thanks for the help.

7. Peter Van Der Walt

$23 is a mask. 0-7. See the table in the wiki, or use the dropdown menu in CONTROL

8. Richard Gallatin

Builder

Ok got it working. Even got laser working. Wiring color code is way off. Just need to get the origin right in lightburn.

9. Richard Gallatin

Builder

Well I thought I had it working. It seems to be OK in the control software. I know it will be different in Lightburn. X Axis seems to be good. The Y direction will home but if I jog it in lightburn no matter if I try jogging forward or backwards it only moves in direction toward the limit switch. I have to look I may need to just change the $23 value in lightburn you can set it for both x and y. I did not see it in the Openbuilds Control software but I did not look to hard. I do have one other question. How hot should the stepper motors get before its a problem. Only machine I have had where they seem to be hot to touch after about 10 minutes.

#9 Richard Gallatin, May 29, 2021
    Last edited: May 29, 2021
  10. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

If they are getting too hot to hold onto then turn the current down.
    Gary

11. Peter Van Der Walt

12. Richard Gallatin

Builder

Thanks for all the help I got them cooled down. I adjusted the current. My only trouble now is it does not seem my feed rate is correct. I had a NEJE master2s before I switched to openbuilds. Seems like I am running slower now than I did before. Been looking at my grbl settings.

13. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

It is probably your acceleration settings in GRBL.

For example, I had slower acceleration and my lathe could easily go 4500mm/min. I increased the acceleration, but that led to stalling on the X axis so I dialed maximum speed down to 3500 and for 3D carves where it makes a lot of fast but short moves, it actually cuts faster and no more stalling. It is something you have to dial in for your setup.

14. Richard Gallatin

Builder

Thanks I looked at that last night after this post got it better. My Preview an engrave gave me a time of 45 minutes to engrave. It took me 1 hour and 45 minutes to engrave. After I messed with acceleration same image and size still at 45 minute preview but only took1 hour to engrave. I am still tweaking but happy were I am at.

15. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

Yeah, I feel acceleration is more critical than max speed for me. Vcarve tells me a job will take about 1 hour and 20 minutes. When I actually run it now, it is about 55 minutes.

For example the first clip has the finishing pass 4000mm/min --start at 57 seconds-- at stock acceleration rates for the LEAD 1010. The roughing was 5000mm/min and it too looked slow compared to the second video's 3500mm/min roughing pass.

This second video (most noticeable on the finishing pass so it starts there) is at 3500mm/min max with my new acceleration settings --start at 47 seconds--. I found the plunge speed can really slow you down on a carve if it is below 1000mm/min (my default).

Ted Moyer likes this.
  16. Richard Gallatin

Builder

Can you tell me is that the $100 &$101 values i am changing. I engraved a 25.41 x 25.41 mm square measured it at 34.22 x 33.67mm I calibrated axis and enter the values of 56.57x 57.49. Ran square again and got 25.43 x 25.42. I am engraving a photo as a test at 7188mm 60% power. It just seems like it is running slower than 7188mm.

17. Peter Van Der Walt

100 and 101 is steps per mm. Acceleration is 110-112. Read the Grbl Wiki! In its entirety! Github.com/gnea/grbl/wiki

Without the wiki you will have a very hard time. Its a goldmine of information