Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Homing sequence.

Discussion in 'Interfaces' started by Netechsys, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Netechsys

Netechsys Journeyman
    Builder

I had a slight mishap last night. I was putting the interface back on the shelf below my machine and hit the homing button. Normally wouldn’t be an issue, but I had a jig on the machine and the first thing it did was drop the Z axis to 5m and then moved Y/X axis crashing my 1/8 end-mill into the jig and breaking it clean off. Is there a way to change the homing to home Y/X completely prior to changing the Z axis? If it would have done then Y/X, it would have stayed above the jig and not cause a problem.

I will need to try the single flute 1/8 now to finish my projects.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Homing does Z+ (up and out the way) first, then XY by default: See gnea/grbl
    You can of course customize it even more, but that wasn't it.

3. Netechsys

Netechsys Journeyman
    Builder

well. That’s weird then. The Z ends at 20.5mm when done with a job, which clears the jig. The homing dropped the z to 5 then started the move. The jig is 13mm tall, 1/2” aluminum plate that bolts to the spoiler board.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Sure you didn't hit gotozero, it does a Z5 first (as its used for checking your zero, we raise up a bit before doing XY) - and of course Z5 is the safest option for a machine you know nothing about in that instance (G53 Z-5 would have been nicer, but not everyone has a working homing setup)

5. Netechsys

Netechsys Journeyman
    Builder

Your right! It was go to zero. Can it be changed to do X/Y prior to Z? Or move z to say 25 prior?

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Not easily, and the accident in question shouldn't happen all that often right?
    Z25 would cause a Z crash at the top of travel on a machine with smaller Z workspace and thick stock. Moving XY first is detrimental for users who just zeroed Z (scratching XY move) as well, can't keep everyone happy :(

There is some plans (but it has to coincide with CONTROL getting the same) to check if Homing is enabled, and has homed, and then the button can use machine coordinates like the fusion post does - but it has to be kinda automatic (based on detection from Grbl settings) - grbl profile parsing was only added in 1.4x series firmwares, so not there yet

sharmstr likes this.