Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Holiday Projects

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by MaryD, Sep 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. MaryD

MaryD OpenBuilds Team

As the heat of the summer subsides and the cooler breezes of autumn take over, it got me wondering if anyone is making decorations for the holidays? Fall, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas?

There are a few projects posted in the Projects & Resources area.

I'd love to see pics of what you've cooked up and if you are willing to share your files, feel free to put it up in Projects & Resources as well!

23246=8597-2010-10-30 15.12.32.jpg 40210=15458-Finished_Wreath_1000x1125_300dpi.png

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

My son and I did a quick project so he could scare his aunt that is deathly afraid of spiders. We figured it would be a good Halloween project. I cut all the pieces out with my CNC router because I could :) (even though the table saw would have been much quicker). I mainly did it because I wanted to practice a little with Fusion 360.

Anyways, he has a cousin that at 9 years old is already an amazing artist and is into Tim Burton-esque art. My Sister-in-law posted some pictures on Facebook and I downloaded them, edited them a bit and converted them to bmp files in Gimp , then traced the bmps with Inkscape. These were loaded into F engrave and v carved onto the sides of the "candy" box and painted prior to final assembly. It is actually an approximation of this http://www.stevedgood.com/scarebox.pdf. Anyways here are a couple of pictures:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Engravings:
    [​IMG]

Finished box:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Video of the box in action:

GrayUK, Joe Santarsiero and MaryD like this.
  3. MaryD

MaryD OpenBuilds Team

Love this! Nothing like a good spider surprise for the arachnaphobes!

4. MaryD

MaryD OpenBuilds Team

PRO TIP- if you post your pics to the Gallery, they will be featured on the Forum home page!

5. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Thanks. I did not know that.

MaryD likes this.