Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

High Torque NEMA 23 Stepper Motors

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Refactored, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Refactored

Refactored Well-Known
    Builder

Totally new here with zero CNC experience. I'm looking at the Workbee 1050 and I'm curious about why one would go with the High Torque motors over the other option. I will primarily be milling wood (to include hard exotics) and eventually I could see aluminum and plastics sneaking in there once project ideas being to develop.

At the moment I'm leaning towards going with the standard motors to start and then maybe upgrade later, but wonder if there is a reason I should consider the high torque right out of the gate, or if there is a hybrid approach I should consider given the build and planned use?

Regards,
    Kyle

2. Giarc

Giarc Master
    Moderator Builder

I have a larger CNC (850 X 1500mm) I built a few years ago before Openbuilds had the high torque motors. However, if I remember correctly, the larger motors at the time were about 270 oz (or maybe 269??). I believe they also had the 175 oz they currently have. Anyways, I went with the 270 oz size on the X and Y and they work just fine. I cut everything from soft woods to aluminum - steel as well if you factor in all the hold down screws I have hit because I guessed wrong for a "safe" area to put them. :banghead: I chose a 175 oz motor for the Z and it works great. If I were to do it again, I would get the new high torque for X and Y and get the 175 oz for the Z. But I am using a light Makita router vs a heavy water cooled spindle. Basically, the overall price increase for the whole machine would be about $45 dollars, but it beats spending a bunch more later to upgrade.

Mark Carew and joe williams like this.
  3. Refactored

Refactored Well-Known
    Builder

Thank you Giarc for the insight. I've been considering the same thing, just start out with the upgraded motors out of the gate. Cost is minimal when considering the bigger picture. Given that, for the Workbee 1050, following your recommendation, I'd go with 2 high torque motors (for X/Y) and one of the non-high torque motor (for Z). Thanks again!

Giarc and joe williams like this.