Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Help

Discussion in 'OpenBuilds Forum Help' started by GARY GEORGE, Nov 8, 2020.

1. GARY GEORGE

Builder

I am only a novice to CNC hence take it easy on me. Have installed the 1510 workbee and followed the instructions to my best and watched the Openbuild video many times. Have connected the Blackbox Controller and the system jogs etc. The Y and X axis are very slow compared to what I see in your video. Even on continuous jog the speed is so slow. I haven't changed anything in the defaults so hoping someone might point me in the right direction.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

First test:
    1) Switch to Incremental
    2) Move say 100mm. Measure if it did move 100mm?
    3) attach your Grbl settings (OpenBuilds-CONTROL > Grbl settings > backup and attach the file here to your post using the Upload a File button

3. GARY GEORGE

Builder

Thanks heaps Peter for the response. The CNC I purchased was the WorkBee V2.2 Mechanical Kit 1500x1500mm hence in the Grbl setting I selected the 1510 machine. When I selected the 1050 setting the jogging and incremental seems to work fine. Would this be correct.

4. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

The 1510 is a belt driven machine. Therefore, your steps/mm would be way off since yours (I assume) is screw driven. The steps/mm for screw driven are around 199.1 steps per mm for your $100-$102 settings in grbl. From there you need to calibrate. If you told the grbl (OpenBuilds control) it was a Workbee1510 - which you said you did - it thinks it has belts which have very significantly lower steps/mm settings for $100-$102 (belts move the gantry farther per rotation of the stepper). Therefore, it is running way too slow and not moving the correct distances in the X and Y. The Z should be fine because it is screw driven.

The reason it moves the correct speed when you chose the 1050 is because the 1050 is a screw driven machine.

Is the LEAD 1515 an option to choose yet? If so choose that one. However, you will need to change your soft limits distance to what your maximum travel distance per axis is because a LEAD1515 has slightly more cutting area (I think). You should really read about soft limits, but the entire grbl wiki is a must reead for a new person. It will answer most questions you will have and is a great resource to refer too when a problem pops up. gnea/grbl

#4 Giarc, Nov 10, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
    David the swarfer likes this.
  5. GARY GEORGE

Builder

Giarc,
    Thanks heaps for the great feedback. Very much appreciated. Got many more nights and days of reading and learning.

Giarc likes this.