Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Help with VFD

Discussion in 'General Electronics' started by adambrum, Aug 10, 2017.

1. adambrum

adambrum New
    Builder

My 0.8kw and VFD are on ther way and i need to start thinking about wiring the thing up.

Im happy enough with the main wiring shielding ect but not so sure on the control side of things.

I will be controlling the vfd from and arduino running GRBL, This is where im getting a little stuck.

Im going to use 0-10v to control speed with a simple op amp circuit but not sure how the forward reverse and spindle enable are used.

I can see from the manual that its expecting 24v control signal for forward and the same for reverse so would i need a relay to control these or does a 0-10v do all of it for me

Thanks Adam

2. adambrum

adambrum New
    Builder

I now have my VFD and its not quite what i expected,

its a isacon which looks to be a copy of a huanyang, ive looked at thee pcb etc and it looks well made.

I have found one small issue so far, if the minimum speed is set to 120hz as recommended for the huanyand it ignores the acceleration as shoots straight up to speed.

On the plus side i have been playing with speed control from an arduino and it quite happily works on 5v pwm, i have put a cap in just to smooth it but that's a bonus. need to get my good meter but it looks as if its only pulling 0.1ma.

looks like fwd and rev can also be driven straight from the arduino as it switches to ground

3. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

I think most people never use reverse and just wire that for forward operation.

unless you re-scale the 0-10v input you will never get full RPM using the 5v pwm off the arduino pin.. which might be acceptable for most jobs :)

4. adambrum

adambrum New
    Builder

I did notice i cant get the full 400hz but i dont think im going to need 24000rpm

Thinking of running an op amp anyway so this may fix it

5. adambrum

adambrum New
    Builder

My spindle is now under control from BCNC, it was easier than expected.

I made a circuit with a lm358 to turn 5v pwm into 0-10v which works perfectly and found my VFD just needs a 0-10v signal with no enable or fwd command. when the signal is zero the vfd turns off, how cool !

i did change the 100uf cap to a 47uf to reduce delay, the pot is to calibrate 0-10v

Attached Files:

6. Rock Monster

Builder

I did the same thing with a PWM-to-voltage module LC-LM358-PWM2V off amazon. I have the HY02D223B VFD with the 24000 rpm 2.2K spindle, If your running the Chinese VFD the settings of: PD005, PD004, PD003, PD072 all need to be set to 400 HZ, or whatever you want the top speed to be. PD0144 sets max speed based of the actual spindle being used. I had the same top speed issue, called the seller, he indicated that the factory default setting was 1440 and to reset it to 3000.

7. adambrum

adambrum New
    Builder

Unfortunatly my VFD has different setting to the huanyang but theres less of them