Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Help with inverted engraving. GRBL

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by DavezDesignz, Nov 19, 2016.

1. DavezDesignz

Builder

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum as well as GRBL so I would like to say hello to everyone. I have searched around the web and as well as this forum and still have not found a solution to my issue. So I thought I would try and ask you knowledgable folks to see if anyone can shed some light on my problem. I apologize if this is not the proper place for this question. I do have experience with more industrial CNC machines (9+ years running a couple AXYZ machines) and I own a small desktop 3d printer but I recently bought a small desktop cnc and for the most part everything is good (other than I received 2 different pitched lead screws so had to model and 3d print a new part so I could use threaded rod until the new lead screw comes).

The issue I am having is that after I set up my machine and tried to jog Y axis with the ^ key in grblControl the machine actually moves towards the front instead of the back. Same with my Z axis I press down and it goes up. So I changed $3=6 which inverts the direction on the Y and Z axis according to the grbl help. So now they are working with the keys in the right direction, yay! Then I go to run a quick test file but the engraving is mirrored vertically. I have attached a photo to show what I am talking about. I have tried changing the step port invert mask as well but that didn't seem to do anything. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

mirror engrave.png

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Maybe try setting the settings back the way they originally were and change the wiring to the motors so they go the direction you want them to go. You should only have to change one pair of wires per motor that is going the wrong direction.

Mark Carew likes this.
  3. DavezDesignz

Builder

Thank you I was just hoping not to have to switch the wires around in the connector. I just don't understand why only the y axis isn't working properly when inverted in the grbl settings but the z axis works properly when inverted (jogging the machine as well as running a file). I think for now I will just have to leave the y axis without inverting so my files run properly and remember that it is opposite when jogging.

tarekhassan2030 likes this.
  4. busybuilder

Builder

Dave, just out of curiosity what are you using as design and cam software. I am having a similar problem with some others issues attached as well. Which form of Grbl control are you using to control the machine ( universal g code sender, Grbl panel , Bcnc, or chilipeppr) . I am trying to narrow down if this is my user error or setup error ........

5. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

You did reboot the Arduino after you changed $6, right?

6. khaled haggag

Builder

Guys i have the same problem here , All the letters are mirrored upside down.[​IMG]

Houss Ribeiro likes this.
  7. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

1) OpenBuilds Control > Grbl Settings > Invert Direction > Invert Y
    2) Save
    3) Reset