Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Help with arduino board please!

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by SamKircher, Jul 1, 2018.

1. SamKircher

Builder

Hi Guys!
    I have had my sphinx router for a while now, It is set up with BCNC and a Phoenix cnc controller (Arduino). All along I have had an issue of the connection just randomly dropping out mid program, never in the same place, just randomly. I have found that turning off my wifi and all other programs on my computer helps sometimes, but not all the time. I have tried multiple computers, and using UGS instead of BCNC, and it still does the same thing. I have added 8 ferrite chokes on all the hot spots, which I thought helped, but now its back to not working.
    All I can do to get my connection back is to disconnect and reconnect, otherwise I can stop the program, but not get any movement out of the machine.
    Please, any advice would help, I am thinking my next option would be to order another control board and see if that fixes it.

Thanks, Sam.

2. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Hi Sam,
    Did you try a new USB (don't use a long one or any extensions)?
    Is your system properly grounded and spindle and stepper motor cables shielded and drained?
    static from the vac system?
    Lots of things can cause this. could be something wrong with the Phoenix..
    Good luck

3. SamKircher

Builder

Thanks Gary,
    I will try and eliminate all those things and see if they help. My spindle cable is shielded, but not my steppers.
    I have the control board powered from the power supply, would that be an issue with power through the USB?

4. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

The power from the supply should be ok, make sure to ground your machine and everything else to the supply chassis, so everything has the same ground floor.

5. SamKircher

Builder

OK cool. It is all mounted in a proper electrical cabinet but I will check all the grounds.

6. SamKircher

Builder

I think I have found the problem, I had a cheap chinese water pump for cooling my spindle that came with it. Turns out if I unplug it, I only get a drop out every few hours, but I think thats to do with BCNC.
    Thanks guys!