Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Help with a RepRapDiscount Full Graphic Smart Controller on 3d printer

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by stargeezer, Oct 21, 2015.

1. stargeezer

stargeezer Journeyman
    Builder

Hi friends. I don't normally add a digital display of any kind to the printers I build, but I thought that I'd try one on my latest effort. The problem is that I just can't seem to get one to work at all. I've followed the setup info I found on the vendors website, added U8glib and added it in other places I thought it might go, but no matter where it is I get a prompt from the Ardrino IDE that it can't find it when compiling.

Now, I'm the first one to admit that I am NOT a programmer of even the lowest grade, but this has me beat. At one point I thought I had it, but all I ever get is a lit screen with a string of blocks where the alphanumericals should be.

Anybody have a clue?

2. Kyo

Kyo Veteran
    Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

Marlin firmware and ramps board? or some other combo? If marlin / ramps you only need to add it once from within the ide. Download the newest u8glib from github to your desktop. Open the arduino ide software and load your marlin firmware by browsing to and choosing the ino file once that has loaded click "sketch" scroll down and choose "Include library" and click on "add .zip library", uncomment
    “#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER” Upload your marlin sketch to your ramps board and enjoy.

I had a problem with my full graphic smart controller on fina at first, I tried adding the u8glib myself manually.. In the end I downloaded marlin again and redid my settings and added the library from within the ide and all worked well the second time around.

Your string of block issue, sounds a lot like one I had with my first printer. (see pic) turned out to be a bad ribbon cable.

Attached Files:

3. stargeezer

stargeezer Journeyman
    Builder

Thanks Kyo, your pic is exactly what I have on screen. Perhaps it is the cable that's the problem, even though I have tried several different one on it. I did recently order the 10 pins ends to make long cables for a different project, so I'll try making up new cables for it too.

Also, I've not tried loading the U8glib as a zip file, didn't know I could. That's new to me, but, like I said, I'm really not a software guy. I've got to change that. I also see the # that you show preceding Full_graphi... and I don't recall that in the configuration file either - got to check that. Can you tell me why that is there?

JustinTime - Thank you too. Sorry I've didn't reply, but, I've been running back and forth to a hospital 150 miles away and have pretty much been offline a lot more than normal for me. In fact, I'm heading out right now for another run. Another wasted day. At my age, I can't afford to lose any ! :)

Have a good day all. Keep on building!
    Larry

#3 stargeezer, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  4. Flash22

Flash22 Well-Known
    Builder

xxl lcd display is the same device iirc the u8glib, you need to add this to the IDE library otherwise you will not be able to compile Marlin

Arduino - Libraries

Then configure the marlin with

REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER and SDSUPPORT uncommented

this is a bit new to me also but have used ide plenty of times