Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Help Requested: Controlling a Complex 3D Printer

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by Daniel R, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Daniel R

Daniel R New
    Builder

Hello All,

I've hit an issue, and any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated.

A bit of info to start with:
    I am building a large format 3D printer with 4 extruders and a full heated enclosure. The mechanical design is fairly well set, but now I am running into issues figuring out what electronics to use.

I want to figure out how to go about powering all 4 hot-ends, controlling the large number of stepper motors (7 total), and all of the fans (One large blower system will be cooling all 4 hot-ends with outside air, and another array of fans can be linked together for print cooling), preferably off of one control board.

The system will be powered by a 24V power supply, except for the bed heaters, which are 12V. However, they came with relays so that the 12V power can be supplied separately and only the control needs to come from the main board.

What I need to know is, are there any boards on the market that can handle this already, or if not, would it be possible to build on an extension to an existing board, such as a RAMBo 1.3? My budget and design are fairly flexible.

I think I did a fairly good job of researching options up to this point, but seeing as the most obvious solution is often the most overlooked one, please just assume I'm an idiot and tell me anything that may be of use in this situation. If I've thought of it before, I will respond as such.

Thank-you all for any assistance you provide,
    Dan

2. GingerBeard

Builder

Look into the Duet 0.8.5 it has 5 stepper drivers but also has an available expansion board that adds 4 additional drivers for 6 extruders on a 3 axis machine. It's also a 32bit arm system. Hope I'm not to late posting this.