Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Help or advice on using a v-bit and making sure it won't overlap other areas.

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by mbourassa, Apr 3, 2020.

1. mbourassa

mbourassa New
    Builder

Hi, I have this sign I want to make. I am looking to get it to pocket cut the letters but also have V cut angles on the sides. I figured I would use an 1/8" endmill bit to pocket the lettering out. The depth will be 1/4" deep. But I also want the sides to have a V carve. As you can see some of the areas are pretty close to the next one. I am afraid of the V carve part continuing into another part. It is a bigger sign and from what I can tell so far is in some areas I only have a 1/4" space between another cut. Should I be doing another toolpath just for the V carve ( like an inside cut ) or can I use my Pocket toolpath after and just change the bit and the endmill size to what it is? If I made inside and outside toolpaths, would the V carved part look ok? Also What type of V-bit do you recommend for this? Sorry I just got a nice piece of wood I don't want it to go to waste because I screwed something up. Thank You work space you- me.PNG

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

This is one of those "try it and see" questions :) Run a test on some scrap

mbourassa likes this.
  3. mbourassa

mbourassa New
    Builder

Thanks Peter.

#3 mbourassa, Apr 4, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  4. Peter Van Der Walt

So how'd it go :) Would like to see the successes (or fails, might inspire some ideas for improvements)

5. mbourassa

mbourassa New
    Builder

Hi, I got the pocket carve done using a 1/8" endmill bit. It took a long time to do that. 7hrs 40 min. (as you saw in my other thread ) Thank you for the tips in that thread. So I do not think I will be using that same pocket toolpath for the v cut. I am going to make inside cut toolpaths for the v cut and give that a try. I may even try making the endmill size larger than it is, so it does not take off too much but to give the edge that slope. Or is this a bad idea? I am happy I tried it on a scrap piece of wood as it gave me actual spacing between each area. I will let you know how it works out, and as alawys thank you for all the help you have given me.

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Depending on the result you want, yes an Inside cut makes a lot more sense to do the inside bevel (sorry didn't understand that section in the first post, if the pocket already got cleared, theres no point pocketing it with the V-Bit, so yes, inside cut will do).
    And you are correct, playing with the diameter, adjusts the offset from the drawing's lines

mbourassa likes this.
  7. mbourassa

mbourassa New
    Builder

So I did my V carve today, using inside toolpaths and also outside toolpaths for the inner parts like the inner O of the letter O. I tried to make my endmill size bigger than what it is so it would not take off too much. That caused a problem in 2 different parts. When I make the endmill larger than it is, it will not carve in certain places of the lettering. So I reduced the size to have it v carve all the areas. Second issue was that it did not carve a slope all the way to the bottom. That may have been because I needed to reduce the size so it would do everything. I am new to this but what I can see is that the software should have a choice of bits to use. An endmill diameter should not be the same because each bit is different in size and should recognize when a bit starts at a point and flares out. I am a rookie and I may be missing something but this is what I noticed and also you wanted feed back.:) Thank you for all the help.

8. Peter Van Der Walt

mbourassa likes this.