Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Help Identifying and getting started with an older Open Builds CNC flat bed mill

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by gfelice, Nov 20, 2021.

1. gfelice

gfelice New
    Builder

Hello, recently had a 5 x 10 flat bed CNC mill donated to my University and am trying to learn it so I can teach my students for future art & design projects. I have experience with Shop Saber flat beds and Tormach multi-axis mills mostly using the Mach 3 Post Processor. This is my first time using an Openbuilds system and am looking for some advice as to how to get started.

I've attached a few of the photos of the older Openbuilds system that we inherited as I'm hoping someone can help me identify it's particularly model / version. They told me that they used Fusion 360 and chillipeppr.com and the TinyG workspace. So far I have been able to get ChiliPeppr - Hardware Fiddle to work from my mac laptop and the mill is responding with movement on the axis. I haven't quite figured out the pipeline for exporting the GCode with the correct post processor out of Fusion 360 and could use some advice on that part of the process as well as alternatives to the Chilipeppr controller.

I'm also curious about best practices / options for measuring my tool height / Z Axis home. I saw this cool little device on the Openbuilds store XYZ Touch Probe Plus but I don't think it works with my TinyG controller. I'm also looking for tool / material holding options.

Anyway, thanks for any advice or fore redirecting me to any past posts that you think would be helpful.

Attached Files:

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Not an OpenBuilds system just OpenBuilds parts. Home build design. Z-axis is way too tall, processor/driver board is under powered. Would suggest cutting the Z-axis way down and upgrading to a BlackBox Motion Control System.
    What does it have in the way of limit switches?