Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Help designing my own CAD !!!

Discussion in 'OpenBuilds Forum Help' started by Fancy, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Fancy

Fancy New
    Builder

Guys so i have to make my own CAD inspired by the OX because the extrusion that is available here locally is 40x80mm and 20x80mm and 20x40mm so i have to work with those making me unable to use the DXF files posted on the forums. So now what i want to inquire about is how much in mm do i offset the V-wheels from each other ? i inspected the designs posted on the forums and they are roughly 20mm + (The V-SLOT Height) but when i do that i can't mate the wheels to the V-Slot in solidworks. the V-Wheel Protrudes a little bit more than that. i want to know how much of a tolerance should i have in order to have smooth movement. would be great if you could help :) thanks in advance.

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

As there is absolutely no way for us to know the tolerances of your locally available materials you'll need to set up a test assembly in order take the necessary measurements yourself.

3. Fancy

Fancy New
    Builder

So do you think i should ignore Solidworks not mating the V-wheels to the V-slots ?

4. Fancy

Fancy New
    Builder

that's not what i meant by tolerances. i mean that for example for v-wheels to ride on 20x80mm their holes are 100mm set apart, solidworks doesn't accept that so in order to satisfy the mates i need to increase the distance between them around 0.6mm. what distance would be acceptable and wouldn't cause the carriage to wobble ??!

5. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

You're working under the assumption that the actual physical materials will be an exact match for what's in the computer and that's not a safe assumption. Achieving perfect mating in Solidworks will not specifically translate into perfect mating with real world materials. So put whatever you feel like in Solidworks to complete your design but before you start cutting plates take some real world measurements of the actual materials or else you may be cutting plates twice.

6. Fancy

Fancy New
    Builder

Okey will do that. Thanks for the help :)