Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Headless Laser engraving machine with Arduino Mega and GRBL Arduino Uno

Discussion in 'OpenBuilds Forum Help' started by CyborgPanda, May 9, 2019.

1. CyborgPanda

Builder

I want to engrave real time Date (in format - DD/MM/YYYY) on plastic material using 'laser engraving' technique. In order to do this, I need to meet the following two requirements:

1) Build a standalone laser engraving machine without any computer - as I need to engrave Date on real time basis , I have used arduino uno with grbl for 3-axis system . I have used laser as z axis.
    I have used arduino mega with SD card, keypad and 16x4 lcd.

WhatsApp Image 2019-05-09 at 11.47.50.jpeg
    2) Real time Date code engraving -
    In order to meet this requirement, I need to generate g codes on real time basis. For this purpose i am also using a keypad which can take real time dates from user , but I am wondering how to generate g codes of these real time dates entered through keypad.

Does anyone have any idea about how to generate g codes in real time without using a software, preferably through arduino mega? Or any other option to generate g code of entered real time dates keeping my set up standalone without any computer?
    Or are there any instructions in G codes where I can enter only numeric data or characters?

For your reference, I am sharing a block diagram of my set up showing arduino uno with grbl and cnc shield, arduino mega with sd card-keypad-LCD.

Cheers!

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Probably going to need a little more oomph (Raspberry Pi as sender -> Uno running GRBL)
    You'd have to code up something, if you are into NodeJS: text2gcode would be a good start