Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Having a problem with the Y-Axis

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Kayla Hillman, May 31, 2020.

1. Kayla Hillman

Builder

Hello everyone, I am new to CNC and still trying to figure things out. I have a Workbee 1510 and everything was running smoothly until the last few days. I've attached a video to show the issue, the Y-axis seems to be getting stuck. I think it's either the stepper motors or the belts that are the problem. Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Kayla.

Attached Files:

2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I would first clean and adjust all the v wheels, some of them are not touching during some of those moves.

Then I would check belt tension, I use a fishing spring balance to pull to a known value so that I know have them all the same.
    I find 12kg of pull to be enough on my 1 meter Y.

Make sure that both motors are getting warm during use. If one (or the driver) is faulty it will stay cold.

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Havent watched the video, but often times, also check that pulley is still tight on motor shaft, setscrews can vibrate loose

4. Kayla Hillman

Builder

Hi guys, thank you so much for your input! Some of your suggestions lead us to the real culprit. We ended up taking the y-axis off to check the motors and one of them isn't turning properly. As seen in the newest video, it's jumping and not making a full rotation.

A second question, do you know if there's a kit to convert this machine to ballscrew instead of belt driven? While I have this machine apart I might as well change it!

Thank you for all your help - Kayla

Attached Files:

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Watched the latest video and that looks typical of a motor where
    a) only 3 of the 4 wires are making good contact
    b) wire order is wrong
    c) stepper driver current is set much too low

To test: Switch the two Y motor plugs, does it start working (then the stepper driver might be the cause - if the problem jumps to the other motor)
    If it still does the same even when moved to another driver, then check wiring