Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Having a problem with the CBeam XL

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by PhotoSgt85, Feb 28, 2017.

1. PhotoSgt85

PhotoSgt85 Well-Known
    Builder

Hello all,
    I wanted to see if any of you can help me walk through this issue and suggest any troubleshooting that I haven't thought of yet. I am running a Bosch Colt Router on my CBeam XL (standard setup except for the bed being made of VSlot). I have cut successfully on the machine but now when I output from Fusion 360 I seem to be running into issues where the machine is deflecting, skipping steps, or worse snapping endmills. I have been following feeds and speeds for 16000 rpm for HSS in aluminum, which is giving me a SFM of 524 (i think, its something close to this).

After I snapped the last 1/8" bit I tried to cut the 1/4" bit profile I had and this is what happened:

20170228_091628.jpg 20170228_091632.jpg

To me it looks like the machine lowered much faster than it should have and lead to the deep cut with the deflection of the bit. The rest of the profile is completely smooth and worked well.

My setup is a smoothieboard 5XC and the external drivers from the partstore. Another thing I am thinking is that the material may be suspect. This stock is aluminum from sometime in the 1960's (originally was the mount for a 150kV pulse transformer and was submerged in oil for probably 30 years). I am going to make a new cut file for these brackets and try it in a known piece of 6061-T6, but the issues have me worried. If there is any advice, resources, or suggestions please let me know, as this is holding up many other projects of mine.

-PhotoSgt85