Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Hate Social Media?

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by MaryD, Apr 21, 2017.

1. MaryD

MaryD OpenBuilds Team

Social Media not your thing?

You can view OpenBuilds Facebook feed, WITHOUT a Facebook account

Keep in touch with featured builds, behind the scenes photos, and exclusive contests.

Simply scroll down to the bottom of the OpenBuilds.com Homepage!

Facebook on home page.png

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

What I hate about social media is that when I try what you are suggesting above, Facebook pops up a big white box covering the bottom half of the screen demanding that I sign up or log in which makes it difficult to read. Facebook is not very friendly to nonusers. Kudos should be given to twitter and G+ for not behaving in a similar manner.

Beyond that I don't really hate social media as such, I just have no use for it. I'm not into duck face selfies, giving daily updates on the children's potty training, and letting burglars know what I have and when I'll be out of town.

To me, the perfect form of social media is OpenBuilds itself, a place where like minded individuals get together to share ideas. I really have no use for any other form.

#2 Rick 2.0, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Joe Santarsiero and MaryD like this.
  3. eetwidget

eetwidget New
    Builder

I hate that I always feed the trolls. I know I shouldn't, yet I can't control the urge. I'm a monster

MaryD likes this.
  4. Glenn Weston

Glenn Weston Journeyman
    Builder

Ah Facebook...... I am proud to say I have never opened an account and probably never will.

And can you believe my day job is I.T. , You see I know better !

It's a little like a whirlpool, you start at the very edge and take bit of a peek, then as you start connecting with all these new/old "friends" that suddenly want to wish you happy birthday every year, that could not have ever cared less prior to Facebook. You eventually get sucked in further and further to the middle of it all until it's all too much to handle, you cannot keep up with the stream of email notifications and you no longer have time to like other people's posts about their kiddies potty training LOL. You then become disliked just because you never comment or like things anymore...... I have seen it happen so many times.
    It is the only place you can get into trouble just because you never do or say anything.

I think forums like these are the best form of social media and tend to keep people with similar interest close together.

Cheers Glenn.

MaryD and GrayUK like this.