Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Has anyone tried building a "vertical" CNC router?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by BismarckDon, Nov 19, 2014.

1. BismarckDon

Builder

I'm in the design / purchasing phase of my CNC router build. Due to space restrictions, I have been tempted with looking at the possibility of orienting a machine so the X-Y plane is vertical instead of horizontal. For example, I was thinking of an OX with the X-Y in a vertical plane. Dual steppers to drive X in vertical direction, single stepper to drive Y in horizontal direction, and single stepper to drive Z in horizontal direction. This would save significant floor space if it is feasible. Has anyone tried this?

2. P. Koon

P. Koon New
    Builder

You may have seem "Wall Panel Saw features in Shopnotes issue 88".

Vertical CNC Build Idea - Potential Problems? - Ask a Tech #24

1) Need the gantry horizontally - not a problem, need some clearance at the top

2) A counter weight system - having the added inertia that can down slow the max travel speed side way.
    https://www.buildyourcnc.com/item/cnc-machine-greenLean-v1

"The X and Y axes use heavy duty 651 oz-in stepping motors as they are dealing with the most inertia and weight and use roller chain and sprockets for motion. the roller chain for the X axis have chain rests that will allow better tension on the chain..."

3) A vacuum or magnet clamp system to secure cut materials, plasma may not work well but ok this machine is not design for plasma anyway.

In the commercial product like this they show you large vacuum system by the side. Can't real see the counter weight, maybe also manage by powerful motor.

4) May be a material fed through for easy of handle