Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Halloumi CNC Machine - Acetal Plates

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Savvas, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Savvas

Savvas New
    Builder

Savvas published a new build:

Read more about this build...

2. Anthony Bolgar

Anthony Bolgar Journeyman
    Builder

Are the Acetal plates as strong and stiff as aluminum? How do they compare in cost to aluminum?

3. Savvas

Savvas New
    Builder

No aluminium is definitely stronger. Compare 6061 Aluminum to POM-H

If you compare the cost thickness to thickness it's very similar, but because alu is a bit stronger you wouldn't need such thick material.

Using acetal also meant I didn't have to change too many fixings (which saved on cost) as well as machining time, and I could also call the project Halloumi.

Michael.M and Anthony Bolgar like this.
  4. juancholi_63

Builder

Very good work !! With these plates and the C-Beam profile, what size could this machine have? Thank you

5. Kurt Tingey

Builder

These are some of the best videos I have watched on this subject. VERY informative.
    How do I obtain the file for the side plates with the upgraded larger (oblong) holes for the c-beam?

6. Michael.M

Michael.M Veteran
    Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

Hi Savvas,
    How are things going with your machine?

Michail likes this.
  7. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Great Build @Savvas and really cool idea on the tramming plate design :thumbsup: Nice work, thank you for sharing

8. Savvas

Savvas New
    Builder

Thanks Mark. Think I'm onto a winner here. I just need to create a similar mechanism for the Y plates now. :)

Mark Carew likes this.
  9. Savvas

Savvas New
    Builder

Hi Michael, sorry for the late reply. Somehow missed a few comments. The acetal machine is pretty good considering how it was made. I have started working on making some fine adjustment modifications and cutting stuff out of aluminium.

10. Savvas

Savvas New
    Builder

Hi Kurt, I am releasing files on my Patreon page at Educating Savvas is creating YouTube Videos, CNC Machines and Errors | Patreon while the concept is a work in progress - The Y plates are up there now but I want to make a similar fine adjustment mechanism as I've just completed for the gantry.

11. Savvas

Savvas New
    Builder

I've just bought a meter length of c beam and ACME threaded rod to extend the x axis. So a meter is my plan for now. :)

12. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Savvas. Have you taken a look at Estlcam's Trochoidal milling?

13. Michael.M

Michael.M Veteran

What is this fine adjustment you're speaking of? I saw your video about adding slots to the y axis plates for tram adjustment in one direction but did I miss something? I'm very interested.

14. Savvas

Savvas New
    Builder

So the slots have a centre at the ACME threaded rod. When the machine screws are released the entire c beam along the x axis can pivot 2 degrees either way which compensates for nod on the spindle. I also wanted to be able to pivot the spindle along the other axis - between the y but I had to devise some kind of pivot plate which is what the last video describes. It's a way of tramming the machine without taking it apart and will probably save hours of time and make the machine really accurate... for a DIY machine. I made a mechanism which uses opposite machine screws to push against opposite blocks which tilt the spindle (when looking face on to the machine) clockwise or counter clockwise. I think that's the best I can do with explaining it.

15. CharlieShimota

CharlieShimota Well-Known
    Builder

Hey Savvas, I really enjoyed your videos of the CNC and am building one very similar to it, Thank you. You gave me the inspiration to hand cut my first set of plates out of Corian and after I finish the project I can cut them precisely with the CNC. Do you remember the length of the spacers between the steppers and plates? I have 40mm spacers and there seems to be enough room the maybe use shorter ones.

16. Savvas

Savvas New
    Builder

Hi Charlie, glad to hear your making a machine too. I've just stated working with Aluminium but having trouble getting the right drilling tool path for smaller holes. It actually seems better to make them on the pillar drill. Anyway my spacers are 33mm. All the best.

17. CharlieShimota

Builder

Hope your aluminum plates are working out, what thickness are you using? A quick question, I know you had problems with the double wheel spacing so they would both lay in the v-grooves nicely, I calculated it using SketchUp and came up with 7.80mm plus a 1mm precision shim on each side. Does this correspond to what you ended up with? I have longer lengths of aluminum spacer and I can cut and sand them down to whatever I need using an edge sander. I also had trouble finding 5x75mm bolts for this application, ended up getting lengths of 5mm threaded rod and cutting them down. Where did you find long enough bolts for your build? Again, thanks for the advice! Double wheel spacer.png

Savvas likes this.
  18. Savvas

Savvas New
    Builder

Hi Charlie, I'm going with 8mm plates in aluminium. But for the acelta machine which had 12mm plates I think I used 70 or 75mm long machine screws. I ended up using stainless steel flanges machine screws but I really wish I bought high tensile ones for everything. I bought mine from Ebay - I know ooznest sell 65mm low profile ones here in the UK. The spacing for the centre of the gantry wheels is around 9mm but in the end I realised the problems the v wheels create can only be sorted by designing the pivoting plates and tramming mechanisms. Good luck with the build! :)

19. CharlieShimota

Builder

Hi Savvas, hope you're well. Now that Christmas is over I'm back to working on the machine again and it's time to cut the last c-beam into two pieces, one for the x-axis and one for the z-axis. I'd like to keep the x-axis as long as possible and still have enough left for adequate z-axis travel. Do you recall the length you ended up with for the z-axis c-beam? Thanks

20. Savvas

Savvas New
    Builder

My Y Plates are around 260mm tall from top to bottom but my wastebaord was several bits of exterior medite MDF stuck togehter.

21. Michael.M

Michael.M Veteran

Hi Savvas, how's it going? I have a question for you. There is a person interested in building one of the machines he likes here on OpenBuilds. He's trying to cut down on some initial cost and was wondering how marine grade HDPE would hold up as plate material until he could mill his own from aluminum. This is Starboard HDPE which is less prone to warping due to UV / moisture. Was there any issues you ran in to using the plastic plates as far as thing not staying aligned or the plates shifting over time? This HDPE is quite a bit softer than Acetal. Thanks.

Michael