Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Grease to use with super loud C-Frame Linear Actuator

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by AndreyPavlov, Feb 4, 2019.

1. AndreyPavlov

Builder

Hello, just got some C-Frame Linear Actuators and are you supposed to use some kind of grease on the lead screws? Maybe some lithium grease or ??
    They are super loud right now and maybe the grease will help.

2. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

On my actual mill, I use Lucas X-Tra Heavy Duty NLGI #2 grease (green) on the screws. Might be overkill for an extrusion machine that can't cut steel, maybe a dry moly or graphite lube would work just as well, but lubrication is pretty important for any screw- even ballscrews need a light grease.

Why OpenBuilds don't sell a suitable grease in the leadscrew section for people to grab with their order, I'm not entirely sure. Would make sense!

joe williams likes this.
  3. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Hi Andrey,
    Are you sure the noise is coming from the screw?
    The Delrin nuts are quiet, I've used a shot of Teflon dry lube on mine. but also ran dry for a while with no noise issues.
    Most common noise complaint is the motors, but 8x micro stepping typically makes for a smooth quiet motor.
    Also, don't make the anti-backlash screw tight, you don't want to add a bunch of friction which will add to the backlash.
    Cheers
    Gary

4. Armadillo Works

Builder

I have use Lucas Red "N" Tacky #2 on the leads of my 3-D printer for over 2 years. Still runs smooth and quiet. I will use the same on my Workbee 1010 leads when I get it built.